Tidying up and messing everything up?

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

MusicL22
Getting settled in

Tidying up and messing everything up?

Post by MusicL22 »

I have found for years i am severe ally disorganized, when I am motivated enough to attempt to tidy up the house or the bedroom I find I have just shoved things in random places. I have literally accumulated all sorts, from woman's things to screwed up pieces of paper, empty boxes of games,dvds, etc... well you get the picture.

So as I am attempting to tidy I actually end up again messing the place up as I go along or get ratty with it because I just don't know how to get it done in an appropriate way without resulting to just boxes random stuff up together.t This results in more mess and clutter as we all know.

I find if I am doing the washing up, I don't always put the right amount of pressure on the taps resulting in water going everywhere flooding the sink and worktop etc.

Does anyone else here actually fell huffy and puffy about doing simple tasks during the day such as carrying clothes and putting them in the washing machine, then feeling tired or fed up after? Do you also find things are heavier than what others think? Or lighter? Do you strain yourself in you're movements more than other people and feel and perceive aches and pains after?

I am quite "tired" as I am typing this,have any of us actually gone to the doctors to find out why we get tired only to find there is nothing physical wrong making us feel like this? Also those of us who are woman or know about this I would like to ask if our hormones at different times (same for men actually) Make the factors that contribute to the rise in "Dyspraxic behaviors" worse? I mean when iv got fed up and huffy and puffy I find I am bumping into things more same for tiredness sadness etc.

Thanks for reading this has took me a while.
allesandro
Power poster

Re: Tidying up and messing everything up?

Post by allesandro »

I can relate to everything you say, and of course doctors have all kinds of medical diagnoses for why I am fatigued, all of which require expensive medications, like testosterone gel and iron pills which while not expensive but have all kinds of nasty side effects. The thing is I was always like this, my whole life. As far as organization is concerned, if I do tidy up, when I'm finished, I can't ever find anything because I just shove things in drawers, just to get them out of the way so when I try to find them, I end up just making an even bigger mess because things were stored randomly and without any sort of categorization assigned.
When I was younger psychiatrists prescribed all kinds of medications for this: serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, amphetamines, dopamine reuptake inhibitors, etc. This stuff helped a little but mostly just accelerated the rate of my disorganization. Now that I am older, I can't tolerate the side effects, and the benefits don't seem to be worth it.
I do work much better if I have someone working with me so often when my housekeeper comes I will often try organizing and sorting out personal things. It's still an effort and some of it is endogenous, and I suppose I should be taking at least some of the medications suggested but I find that doctors often over prescribe, and between the expense and the side effects, I vacillate between compliance and just being sick of all the medications and the bills. Just use your judgment as to where to put things so you'll remember where they are and using whatever motivation you can muster up
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Post by MusicL22 »

allesandro wrote:I can relate to everything you say, and of course doctors have all kinds of medical diagnoses for why I am fatigued, all of which require expensive medications, like testosterone gel and iron pills which while not expensive but have all kinds of nasty side effects. The thing is I was always like this, my whole life. As far as organization is concerned, if I do tidy up, when I'm finished, I can't ever find anything because I just shove things in drawers, just to get them out of the way so when I try to find them, I end up just making an even bigger mess because things were stored randomly and without any sort of categorization assigned.
When I was younger psychiatrists prescribed all kinds of medications for this: serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, amphetamines, dopamine reuptake inhibitors, etc. This stuff helped a little but mostly just accelerated the rate of my disorganization. Now that I am older, I can't tolerate the side effects, and the benefits don't seem to be worth it.
I do work much better if I have someone working with me so often when my housekeeper comes I will often try organizing and sorting out personal things. It's still an effort and some of it is endogenous, and I suppose I should be taking at least some of the medications suggested but I find that doctors often over prescribe, and between the expense and the side effects, I vacillate between compliance and just being sick of all the medications and the bills. Just use your judgment as to where to put things so you'll remember where they are and using whatever motivation you can muster up
This afternoon I just decided to put a load of stuff in black bin bags and chuck it in the black bin. I have moved a TV into my room from another room and put it near the door on a chest of drawers.Moving the stuff on the chest of drawers next to this chest of drawers. I have bumped into things doing so trying not to break the TV. As I was binning things in my room I got huffy and puffy. The window is a mess I threw away some sticky incense sticks that have stuck to the window. I feel slightly better that I've chucked some stuff out. Thanks for the advice on moving stuff to a place I know where it is, even if it's cluttered. The trouble is people moan about getting in the bedroom or moan its cramped.
SarahTheScout
Getting settled in

Post by SarahTheScout »

My 'tidying' and 'organisation' is pretty rubbish too. Like you, things end up on random shelves, in random drawers, wherever there's a space. And I also find that I've kept an unusual assortment of objects! Like a video cassette without a case... And a different case without the video! I kept an empty pop bottle on the table for about three weeks, and I can't even remember what the thing was that my partner asked "is that just going to live there now?" when it clearly needed to go in the bin. I also get really stressed out when I can't work out where to start or how to tidy effectively.

As for the taps, I have a real issue with pressure/grip! I'll grip something so hard that I get cramp in my hand, or I'll drop something because I didn't realise I wasn't gripping it. It's very annoying and has resulted in several broken items over my time! And sometimes I'll try to pick something up 3 or 4 times before managing it... Or before dropping it!
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Post by MusicL22 »

SarahTheScout wrote:My 'tidying' and 'organisation' is pretty rubbish too. Like you, things end up on random shelves, in random drawers, wherever there's a space. And I also find that I've kept an unusual assortment of objects! Like a video cassette without a case... And a different case without the video! I kept an empty pop bottle on the table for about three weeks, and I can't even remember what the thing was that my partner asked "is that just going to live there now?" when it clearly needed to go in the bin. I also get really stressed out when I can't work out where to start or how to tidy effectively.

As for the taps, I have a real issue with pressure/grip! I'll grip something so hard that I get cramp in my hand, or I'll drop something because I didn't realise I wasn't gripping it. It's very annoying and has resulted in several broken items over my time! And sometimes I'll try to pick something up 3 or 4 times before managing it... Or before dropping it!
Oh yes I leave bottles in my room, when I've got myself stressed I trip and break things. For example I bought a soap dispenser for the bathroom and now the top is leaking. I make a mess of pens and other things I've broke within 5 minutes. I found an old gameboy game mixed up with an old box of pens.
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

SarahTheScout wrote:My 'tidying' and 'organisation' is pretty rubbish too. Like you, things end up on random shelves, in random drawers, wherever there's a space. And I also find that I've kept an unusual assortment of objects! Like a video cassette without a case... And a different case without the video! I kept an empty pop bottle on the table for about three weeks, and I can't even remember what the thing was that my partner asked "is that just going to live there now?" when it clearly needed to go in the bin. I also get really stressed out when I can't work out where to start or how to tidy effectively.

I was trying to open something with a child-proof cap the other day to unblock the sink, and I couldn't open it, but my arm hurt so much after a while because of how hard I was gripping it. I'm always perplexed by weaker people than me being able to open things with ease. :c
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Post by MusicL22 »

Dan wrote:

I was trying to open something with a child-proof cap the other day to unblock the sink, and I couldn't open it, but my arm hurt so much after a while because of how hard I was gripping it. I'm always perplexed by weaker people than me being able to open things with ease. :c
I also find it hard to open certain things, have you ever tightened a bottle of pop and realize you can't get it open again? I get pains in my upper arms and wrist from trying to hard. I am of a stocky build and I know I have the upper arm muscle there so it's quite baffling. I also find things hard to lift even though know I can lift that much weight at times.
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

MusicL22 wrote:
Dan wrote:

I also find it hard to open certain things, have you ever tightened a bottle of pop and realize you can't get it open again? I get pains in my upper arms and wrist from trying to hard. I am of a stocky build and I know I have the upper arm muscle there so it's quite baffling. I also find things hard to lift even though know I can lift that much weight at times.
Normally I just struggle with opening the bottle in the first instance, as I tend not to tighten things too much. :)
cricketman123
Getting settled in

Post by cricketman123 »

I find alot when i tidy my room up then In a couple of days it becomes messy again and unorganised, Im going to have to change that when I hopefully go to UNI
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Post by MusicL22 »

cricketman123 wrote:I find alot when i tidy my room up then In a couple of days it becomes messy again and unorganised, Im going to have to change that when I hopefully go to UNI
Yes this sounds like me as well.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

cricketman123 wrote:I find alot when i tidy my room up then In a couple of days it becomes messy again and unorganised, Im going to have to change that when I hopefully go to UNI
Isn't this in defiance of the natural law that maintains that all student accommodation must always be an utter tip? 8-)

Maybe I'm a student and I just haven't realised it!

All the very best!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
SarahTheScout
Getting settled in

Post by SarahTheScout »

Dan wrote: Normally I just struggle with opening the bottle in the first instance, as I tend not to tighten things too much. :)
See, that's very sensible! But if I don't tighten the pop bottle, the pop goes flat!
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

SarahTheScout wrote:
Dan wrote: Normally I just struggle with opening the bottle in the first instance, as I tend not to tighten things too much. :)
See, that's very sensible! But if I don't tighten the pop bottle, the pop goes flat!
Better that the pop goes flat than my hand becomes permanently flat due to me crushing it in the gripping process! :P
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Post by MusicL22 »

Dan wrote:
SarahTheScout wrote:
Better that the pop goes flat than my hand becomes permanently flat due to me crushing it in the gripping process! :P
I find it easy to knacker my arm, wrist and hand up from trying too hard. I quite like flat pop I find it sweet.
SarahTheScout
Getting settled in

Post by SarahTheScout »

Ahh nooooo! I really hate flat pop, it's one of the worst things!