Advice for a newbie

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Laura.marie55
Getting settled in

Advice for a newbie

Post by Laura.marie55 »

I am new to this website, and my dyspraxia and dyslexia diagnoses are less than a week old! Any advice anyone can give about adjusting to it all would be greatly appreciated. I am not really sure what to do now. I can identify so many things in my life that can be explained by dyspraxia which is a comfort in some ways but what does this mean for me?
Dan
Power poster

Re: Advice for a newbie

Post by Dan »

Laura.marie55 wrote:I am new to this website, and my dyspraxia and dyslexia diagnoses are less than a week old! Any advice anyone can give about adjusting to it all would be greatly appreciated. I am not really sure what to do now. I can identify so many things in my life that can be explained by dyspraxia which is a comfort in some ways but what does this mean for me?
I found that it was very helpful to find out about it just so that I could explain my difficulties without thinking I was stupid like I did before. I still often get days where I feel stupid, but they're less frequent as a result of diagnosis.

The biggest advice I'd give you is that you should never just assume that you can't do stuff because of Dyspraxia. When I was a kid, I just assumed I'd never be able to get good at piano despite loving it. Fortuitously, I met a fellow Dyspraxic who was also great at piano, so I ended up giving it a go and I am very thankful for this experience, as I'm now quite accomplished at it and it's a great creative and emotional outlet.

I am not saying that you will succeed at everything, and you may very well find that certain things are beyond your reach, but please don't let the condition limit you too much. Just bear in mind that most things will take at least a little bit more practice for you to get good at. :)
Laura.marie55
Getting settled in

Post by Laura.marie55 »

Thanks for the advice that is very useful. Being diagnosed at 27 has meant I haven't really limited myself too much I more just understand why I struggle with things so much now, and like you said I feel less stupid. It's just quite strange to adjust to it but it does feel quite positive as I understand myself much better now.
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

Laura.marie55 wrote:Thanks for the advice that is very useful. Being diagnosed at 27 has meant I haven't really limited myself too much I more just understand why I struggle with things so much now, and like you said I feel less stupid. It's just quite strange to adjust to it but it does feel quite positive as I understand myself much better now.
Yeah, it definitely helps to know. There is a medication called Piracetam that's supposed to have shown promise in treating some symptoms of Dyspraxia too, so there's definitely some latitude in the ways a diagnosis can improve one's life.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

It really all depends upon how dyspraxia impacts upon your life. Usually when people are in a place where they pursue a diagnosis they have been having difficulty in some area of there life. How does this affect you? How does it impact upon your daily tasks and goals in life?