People who call me "buddy"

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanAu96
Getting settled in

People who call me "buddy"

Post by DanAu96 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:35 pm

I don't know if its just me or not but I absolutely detest being called "buddy" it is incredibly patronising ](*,) ](*,) . I don't know if I am just being overly sensitive but, I think because of my dyslexia and dyspraxia, but i sometimes feel people think i am a bit dumb. Which makes me rather sensitive to people talking to me in a patronising manor. does anyone else feel rather sensitive to this sort of thing?

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: People who call me "buddy"

Post by Tom fod » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:20 pm

It's hard to make an objective judgement not knowing you or witnessing someone using this term and their tone and inflection whilst doing so.

You can always say my name is Dan or Mr ___ to you if you please. That said it is your judgement and if it feels patronising it probably is!. He? may call everyone that because he is a (not necessarily intentionall) annoying [bleep]?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:38 pm

No, it does not offend me at all. I think it's probably more common here in the states than in the UK; I think you use the word 'mate' in the UK as commonly as Americans use the word 'buddy'

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:39 am

In parts of Western England/Wales they say But or Butty for mate. I've heard Bud too. Not a great fan of over familiarity either but depends on who/the spirit in which it is used.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:32 am

I've never been great with over-familiarity either, especially when people tap me unexpectedly, but I've learnt to adapt. I don't actually think it is meant in a patronising way necessarily, but it's hard to determine without having witnessed it, of course.

DanAu96
Getting settled in

Post by DanAu96 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:07 pm

Dan wrote:I've never been great with over-familiarity either, especially when people tap me unexpectedly, but I've learnt to adapt. I don't actually think it is meant in a patronising way necessarily, but it's hard to determine without having witnessed it, of course.
the term has always bothered me but more recently someone i know who really patronises me calls me it and i cannot stand it.