Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

allesandro
Power poster

Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by allesandro »

It may not be my place to say this but I think if we all tried to contribute more to this site we could keep it a bit more current.
Last edited by Tom fod on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To pin at top of page
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by Tom fod »

Thank you.

I completely agree, Whilst we can't force people to post X number of posts a week (and I wouldn't want that) it would be great if it were more lively here.

I try to answer posts that are going unanswered where I can as I'm conscious people in many cases will be feeling a bit distressed and I don't want them to lose hope in the Forums and feel utterly alone. We all have valid experiences we can share that may help someone to feel that their situation maybe less hopeless, than they first felt.

Equally If I've responded to a post and anyone's thinking what utter waffle I'd be really quite grateful if anyone can offer a potentially more helpful perspective.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I know respond to many posts. I think that is extremely generous of you. Thanks
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

Well, this post was very fruitful
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

Well, I saw it. I'll try and post tomorrow. :) It is a Sunday, but yeah - I'll try. :)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

Dan,
you do contribute to this site. my post was not aimed at you, it was aimed at people who don't contribute. I now only respond to posts of people who are known contributors, unless they are new
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

This site seems very dead, no new posts
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

allesandro wrote:This site seems very dead, no new posts
I share your frustration. We tend to get a small flurry of new posts then it goes deathly quiet again. Anyone have thoughts as to what might motivate you or others to visit and contribute freely?

Are people trying to post taking time to formulate a response, but then the site times them out and they lose heart?
Are some just too unsure that they can offer valid contribution, advice or comfort?
What other disincentives might exist?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

Well, I still contribute but not nearly on the scale I used to. I think if people tried to reciprocate that would help. Some of the posts are just asking for people's opinion, not facts. Everyone has an opinion. Some, like in the lounge, just ask for either opinion or contribution of experiences. I don't think that's too difficult to make a contribution to. Maybe there needs to be additional forums that are more inclusive of people's day to day experiences and feelings, but I kind of think that already exists. So, I'm not sure, I just know that when I look down the list of posts and see that nothing new is being added, I get frustrated and I end up with a "why bother?" attitude. It doesn't feel like I can count on support, and that is sad. I even tried forging this post to try and boost awareness of the need for increased contributions----it didn't work.
So, I still contribute, but not that much.
Pistachio
New member - welcome them!

Post by Pistachio »

Hello!
I have to admit I am not usually a joiner, or a person who likes to publicly contribute, and I wonder if there is a tendency with dyspraxia to be quietly bimbling through life hoping no-one will notice you... perhaps stemming from many years of being belittled for who we are, or maybe just because our brains go a bit fuzzy and panicky. I don't know, I just wondered if dyspraxics tend to be introverts? Or is it just that there's not enough of us here? Or do people mean to respond then get distracted because we're all very distractible? I guess these are my reasons. But I love this forum for existing, and just reading through people's experiences has been so therapeutic, so thank you for persevering all those who do, and I promise to stick my oar in more often! :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Pistachio and welcome

Yes, I do feel many of us have a tendency to be introverted (often as a result of negative experiences) and a little too reticent. I think some members just drop by occasionally to read others' posts and won't necessarily want or have anything to post themselves. I strive to ensure it is a place where people feel comfortable asking questions or just venting and that others will be understanding and supportive.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

I don't post that often. One reason is that I have an internet addiction and I have to rationthe amount of time I spend online.

Some people on this site are also dyslexic as well as dyspraxic, so they might not be able to write quickly.

One suggestion I have is that it would be beneficial to have a thumbs up or like icon. That means people could 'respond' to a post without actually having to write anything, which might make the site subtlely feel more 'alive'. I don't know how hard it would be to do this from a technical point of view, though.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

Seriously??
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

allesandro wrote:Seriously??
That response comes across as a sarcastic attitude of disbelief to my previous post if I understand you correctly.

I was honestly doing my best to respond to your original post. You are more than welcome to disagree with me or any other responses. But your treating of forum members who take the trouble to respond to you in such a dismissive and disrespectful manner is completely unacceptable. If you take such an attitude, it is unlikely that you will get responses from any members for much longer.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Ram wrote:I don't post that often. One reason is that I have an internet addiction and I have to rationthe amount of time I spend online.

Some people on this site are also dyslexic as well as dyspraxic, so they might not be able to write quickly.

One suggestion I have is that it would be beneficial to have a thumbs up or like icon. That means people could 'respond' to a post without actually having to write anything, which might make the site subtlely feel more 'alive'. I don't know how hard it would be to do this from a technical point of view, though.
I have mixed feelings but would not dismiss it out of hand since I have seen posts where I feel I wish I could 'like' that without otherwise interjecting in the flow of the thread/discussion.

I'm not sure the software code this site runs on could support that and I do have some sympathy with the notion it is sort of dumbing down and one could post I very much agree and go beyond just one click so we can share meaningful comments/experiences.

I'm fortunate to be confident in my written communication but not everyone is, and it is not always easy to put how you feel into words for fear it might be misinterpreted and/or censured. We can't all agree all of the time and sometimes we might not come across how we meant to.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator