Social Anxiety

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

moleyface1991
Getting settled in

Re: Social Anxiety

Post by moleyface1991 »

Moot,

I am ok with answering phone calls now but I have to practice before I say anything if I ring up anyone. If it is a employer I go really nervy and end up going wrong, it is the same with interviews at Job centre or places I have interviews, If I know the person I tend to get use to it, but it can still be embarassing, it can be harder with strangers.

Chris
WarriorOfEden
New member - welcome them!

Post by WarriorOfEden »

My name is Taylor. I suffer from bad social anxiety and traumatization, I have problems with controlling my hand movements sometimes and my anger. I am 18yrs old, I am quite short for my age and I feel nervous every time I go into college, lots of people around, all of them taller than me. I get pushed easily, I get confused easily and I have poor social skills.

I am in desperate need of help and friends...I never made a friend before with anyone outside. I do however seem to have good social skills when friends online, but only online. Is this natural for me?

Taylor
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Taylor

Welcome to the forums (or Fpra).

You're not alone. Quite a few of us struggle with social situations to varying degrees and all the standard advice such as 'be relaxed' or 'don't appear too desperate' can be hard if not impossible to follow. Our anxiety about our own or other peoples perceived feelings towards can be very frightening and/or confusing.

Don't know if you've tried the dyspraxia foundation? The local groups (if there is one in Worcs?) seem very much more focused on parents trying to get diagnosis or assistance for their children.

Its interesting you say you have acquired dyspraxia? (don't feel you have to explain yourself). There seems to be a very wide range in terms of what we can and can't do. The struggle sometimes is trying to be more accepting of what we can't do and being happy about what we can.

Anyway welcome to the forums and please consider yourself to be among friends here.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
WarriorOfEden

Post by WarriorOfEden »

Thanks Tom.

I feel better now...I am using the foundation site, so far I haven't had a reply yet.
I just needed some words of encouragement and wisdom. I will try my best to fight my anxieties!

Taylor
Wish90
Getting settled in

Post by Wish90 »

I get it really bad. Think I need help. All my life I have hated clubs and basically being with lots of people (unless I know them really well). I used to think all the physical symptoms I get were being poorly but they only happen when I go on a night out... So frustrating. I'm going to try and get help. This has gone on long enough.

X
Desert Rose
Regular Poster

Post by Desert Rose »

jad101 wrote:Does anyone else with dyspraxia have social anxiety?? i am really self conscious around people especially due to my dyspraxia .i mean i hate being in big groups unless ive known them along time and im super nervous around new people.
i mean sometimes i want to break out and and talk to people but im scared tbh. I lock myself from others because i hate being judged. maybe its due to years of being bullied because i had dyspraxia which has brought this on.
This sounds all too familiar to me, I feel trying to communicate with alot of people is like trying to run through a brick wall. I really just don't know how to do it, I've been told that when in groups that I appear to withdraw, which is what I do because I become very self conscious, paranoid and uncomfortable. Luckily though I'm very happy being on my own.
Wish90
Getting settled in

Post by Wish90 »

I am so socially anxious. I often leave work late so I don't have to face anyone on the way out. :blush:
ravenm26

Post by ravenm26 »

I think I’m like I can’t use a taxi on my own I just getting way too anxious about over paying under paying yah I’ve used putting more than I might need on me but the anxiety is still there. and I get anxious on a train no matter how much I plain it to the last detail and I get anxious on my b day and Xmas because of the additional attention . And I really hate being in a big group of people in a shop but the way I cope with that is going early in the morning or late at night .

I get socially anxious when I meet new people but I cope by giving myself a mental prep talk which doesn’t always work