Balance Issues

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Balance Issues

Post by Jenny3142 »

Saturday I had sudden hearing loss in my left ear. I went to the ENT on Monday and he made me do the Fukuda stepping test, I failed that spectacularly. I´m not too surprised at this, I´ve had balance issues my whole life. I told him this. I told him that me and door frames aren´t on the best of terms. (dyspraxia you know?) :D
He gave me steroids and booked me in for two tests next year VNG and Bera.
What alarmed me is he said I shouldn't drive whilst I have a balance issue. I´ve been driving all of my adult life with only 2 major accidents when I was young (other peoples fault both times). I know I have a tendency to sometimes nudge the kerb driving around corners and I have a few prangs and scrapes from parking (walls, posts). I tend to only drive automatics, but I do have a full license. I have no qualms if I am only allowed to drive automatics though - manuals are not for me!
I live in Germany (I used to live in the UK), and I can find absolutely no information here. Information on Dyspraxia generally is scarce here. I´m just wondering if any of your UKers come across anything like this? Any advice?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Balance Issues

Post by Tom fod »

This is not an easy one to answer as I'm not a medical professional with access to your medical notes and I don't know what the laws/ insurance company rules in Germany are in regard to driving if your Doctor has (strongly?) advised against doing so. I do also appreciate that depending on where you/live work and your day-to day responsibilities you may not have (m)any alternatives? I'd suggest you seek further guidance on this.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Post by Jenny3142 »

From what I can tell, a doctor telling me not to drive is not binding. However, he can inform the Führerscheinstelle (DVLA equivalent), and they can revoke my license.
This hasn´t happened, so I guess I´m in the clear. I don´t see balance issues being a reason to revoke my license tbh. Just because I can´t fit through a door frame, doesn´t mean I can´t drive a car!
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I would be kind of careful with this one, as a doctor saying not to drive can be classed as going against medical instructions. there are some conditions that if you have a bump after even a doctor telling you not to drive can invalidate your insurance if they check up any medical conditions with the doctor/hospital. so while you can legally hold a driving license it is a tight rope especially here in the UK.