Video games aren't a bad thing

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

michele
Getting settled in

Re: Video games aren't a bad thing

Postby michele » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:00 am

I am going to come in firmly on the side of video games...but only the "right" video games as I was told to play then to build coordination as a young child and actually understood and was determined enough to take a systematic approach to doing exactly that....at six years of age.

I spent hours on games with simple controls slowly and painfully gaining skill making tiny tiny achievements. It took a very long time and a lot of work to be painfully average at any video gane that is less about strategy and more about coordination. I am far better at old school games in two-D, side scrolling, top dowm things like that with static or simple scrolling cameras....I am terrible at first person shooters to the point of being pathetic but I can play most games. I also took gymnastics and learned how to fall, I rode horses some....the end result is that today I am both a gamer *and* a driver (of automatic cars).

If you want to know specifics of types of games I will expand on this.

Michele
"When none of the offfical paths lead you anywhere good there is a simple solution...forget about roads."

skyebison
Getting settled in

Postby skyebison » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:29 am

Which old school games do you like? I find that I have a lot of trouble playing platformers. I have a lot of nostalgia around Super Mario Bros, but I've never been able to advance more than three levels on those types of games. I prefer RPGs.

michele
Getting settled in

Postby michele » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:26 pm

In answer to favorite old school do you mean favorite for skill building/retention of favorites?

In RPG I will always love Chrono Trigger. The original Legend of Zelda is action rpg or a similar catagory.

Metroid, Mega Man are two others I love....but these are the early games. I also have some pre nintendo console and computer games.

Early on I was painfully bad but I started at age six and used games with simple controls to slowly learn....I do belive its part of how I learned to drive.

Check out youtube videos of an old computer game called Spy's demise...which combined with frogger I was able to um practice crossing streets without being terrified or dying in the real world. By comparing the game to the experiance of being led across a road by my hand. I learned to judge the timing in two dimensions and in whatever weird thing my 3 d vision is. I can see 3-d movies but my spacial perception is not normal, I just don't know what it is defined as. I know I do more with sound/vibration then the average sighted person
"When none of the offfical paths lead you anywhere good there is a simple solution...forget about roads."

morgank82
Regular Poster

Postby morgank82 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:06 am

Most importance is to not go beyond obsession, if one does just like over thinking thoughts , they in print in your mind and can stay there very long time thinking about it. Repeating daily also for a long period , your just over lapping your other thoughts about same experience's .

Now violence in game's none stop,with out proper food for thought positive interaction outside ga ming ; that one already a has a problem that is on a edge about , now that's a cocktail waiting to mix and tip loosing balence on either turn social path or just get bored and turn it off.

its very scary to let gaming with violents take charge of thought ,if ones under influence or just really agro and confused. for there moraltality will be drowning in a mind that is not clear, in that moment they had enough

Desert Rose
Regular Poster

Postby Desert Rose » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Not gonna lie, I spend rather alot of time on them, they train the cognitive part of your brain, your reaction timing and can in my case can help to relieve anxiety.

Dan
Power poster

Postby Dan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:33 pm

I love games, especially strategy ones. I am sure I would be less intelligent if video games hadn't inspired my interest in programming so acutely at an early age. I think that even violent games are really useful, and it has been proven that violence in media does not inspire violence in the real world, many times.

allesandro
Power poster

Postby allesandro » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:26 pm

I cannot play video games--just can't think quickly enough to use my hands to overcome an obstacle before becoming destroyed. I think if I had been exposed to them as a kid, perhaps it would have helped. But then again, I imagine it might have been like sports i.e. it might have made me feel inferior if I was demonstrably inferior to other kids.

Dan
Power poster

Postby Dan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:58 pm

lauraECFan wrote:currently hooked on the mass effect series i started a new game night before last and i made myself in it yes there is violence in it but i play it for the story rather than the fighting same reason i play dragon age

Which Mass Effect and which Dragon Age? Origins was good, although 2 wasn't so much. The fairly recent one captivated me for a long while, actually. Pretty rare, that! Only other thing that does that to me is Total War games.

Tom fod
Administrator

Postby Tom fod » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:18 am

Playing Devils Advocate, to what extent might they be a contributing factor to psychosis and spree killings.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Dan
Power poster

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:00 am

boopidoop wrote:I couldn't agree more. If it wasn't for video games, I'd be in a bad place right now.

AAA games are made by massive companies, such as Rockstar (Creators of the Grand Theft Auto series), EA (Creators of The Sims) and a lot of others. These are like the big blockbuster movies you see, with explosions, famous actors/actresses, and massive budgets. Look at Grand Theft Auto 5, that game had a £170 mil budget. When you compare that to Tangled's £165 mil, that's a lot.

Firstly, me too. They take the stress away.

I used to love the Sims 1's music, when it was still made by Maxis. The Sims 2 was also by Maxis, but after that, EA, yeah. Honestly, the first one was isometric, but it was pretty great when I was a kid.

Here's a track from The Sims 1 that's awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs5QGN-zhwM

Return to “The Lounge”