What things can make dyspraxia symtpoms worse?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jenny3142
Getting settled in

What things can make dyspraxia symtpoms worse?

Post by Jenny3142 »

In the last few months I´ve noticed an increased in dyspraxia symtoms and wondering if there are other things that can influence the severity? eg depression, sleep problems etc.
Yesterday I found that I started confusing b´s and d´s when writing. This was very alarming as I haven´t done this since I was very small :(
I feel that am much clumsier than usual. The increasing frequency of knocks and bumps and missing doorway openings lead to me losing my temper a lot more.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: What things can make dyspraxia symtpoms worse?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome.

Dumb question but are you stressed by any chance? I find the more stressed I am the greater the effect and equally stress increases worry and worry increases stress which make me more prone to falling on me arse and/or getting stuff wrong.

It can be damnably difficult in this day and age but I find I have to force myself to slow down as that in itself can really help. Being unhappy/depressed, not getting enough sleep etc will all contribute to making things seem worse.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

A combination of stress, anxiety, depression, tiredness, other mental health problems, physical health problems.

This is my opinion.
NoLimitations
Getting settled in

Post by NoLimitations »

Hi,
I can relate to that, it normally happens when i am run down, tired and in situations where their is information overload, i usually muddle up my words and im alot more clumsier. I hate writing in these situations. I noticed that other people who do not have dyspraxia make these errors as well when writing when stressed. Not really sure if this answers your question.
Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Post by Jenny3142 »

Tom fod wrote:Hi and welcome.

Dumb question but are you stressed by any chance? I find the more stressed I am the greater the effect and equally stress increases worry and worry increases stress which make me more prone to falling on me arse and/or getting stuff wrong.

It can be damnably difficult in this day and age but I find I have to force myself to slow down as that in itself can really help. Being unhappy/depressed, not getting enough sleep etc will all contribute to making things seem worse.
Hi,
sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I am severely stressed at the moment! On top of that I am experiencing a lot of hypothyroid symptoms, but doctors will not do anything until my thyroid is pretty much destroyed by autoimmune.

What occured to me as well is that maybe my gait is worsened because I am putting on weight due to the hypothyroidism. Because I don´t walk properly that weight is affecting my knees and ankles more than it used to. Well that maybe explains the lower part of my body anyway :D
jayalexander
Getting settled in

Post by jayalexander »

Does anyone have a problem whilst laying in the dentist's chair? I'm not frightened of the dentist or anything like that but feel a bit wary when someone's in close proximity to my left arm, which is the main trigger of my dyspraxic tendancies. I also try to avoid holding hands (not with a dentist, obviously) with my left, because unless I feel very relaxed, I can get the jerky movements.
flat_ted
New member - welcome them!

Post by flat_ted »

Yes, I get this frequently in certain situations where I'm in close proximity to someone, the optician, doctor, dentist, for me its whenever I'm physically very close to someone that I don't know that well. I do wonder whether its an anxiety thing :-k
jayalexander
Getting settled in

Post by jayalexander »

Thanks Ted. I was actually at the dentist a couple of days ago and had to have a tooth removed. I hadn't seen the particular dentist before and was a bit worried that my arm might go a bit haywire, but it was actually fine! I have found that in the past having something tightish around my arm - such as tubigrip can help me have more control and not feel so conscious, although it's not been something that I've regularly done.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

In simple lay mans terms... I notice that my dyspraxic tendencies or at least my personal awareness of them increase when I'm tired, worn out or under increased pressure.

It's entirely natural and logical that stress or physical illness (if only short term) can have a noticeable impact on your capacity to cope with your day to day living.

But also in small doses, if managed well it can also strengthen your ability to cope.

Since I started work in my current job (one that most non dyspraxics would and infact do run a country mile from, let alone us lot) I have found that my sheer stubborn perseverance has actually benefited my cognitive capacity.

Make no mistake I'm still Dyspraxic Me (gawd I'd love to copyright that title for a movie... just think what mayhem the minions would get upto!) but ultimately it's a irritating hindrance not a unsurpasable barrier.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: