Being 'redeployed'

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pendragon
Getting settled in

Being 'redeployed'

Post by pendragon »

Like many dyspraxics I deliberately select jobs I think would be a good fit - I'd never consciously choose one which meant I had to be on my feet all day, or one that involved a great deal of maths. Something I *am* curious about: what is the legal position if a dyspraxic is redeployed to an unsuitable role?

In a few of the companies I have worked, I have been shifted to new jobs that bore no resemblance to the one I applied for, meaning I've struggled and ended up being put on disciplinary. Are they allowed to do this if a worker has declared their dyspraxia? Surely it's within their power to make adaptations for them? It's become a depressing cycle in most places I've worked - they change the role and I end up having to move to another company.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Being 'redeployed'

Post by Tom fod »

pendragon wrote:Like many dyspraxics I deliberately select jobs I think would be a good fit - I'd never consciously choose one which meant I had to be on my feet all day, or one that involved a great deal of maths. Something I *am* curious about: what is the legal position if a dyspraxic is redeployed to an unsuitable role?

In a few of the companies I have worked, I have been shifted to new jobs that bore no resemblance to the one I applied for, meaning I've struggled and ended up being put on disciplinary. Are they allowed to do this if a worker has declared their dyspraxia? Surely it's within their power to make adaptations for them? It's become a depressing cycle in most places I've worked - they change the role and I end up having to move to another company.

It's a difficult one. I think the best we can hope to achieve is to negotiate with/try to educate employers and try to meet them halfway as far as showing a degree of flexibility. It''s probably not unreasonable for employers to ask that we try to develop ourselves to be widely deployable with appropriate tailored training and support from them Your employer is obliged to make 'reasonable' adjustments to support you if you declare a disability. The difficulty is that 'reasonable' is subjective.

What do others think?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Ditsy

Re: Being 'redeployed'

Post by Ditsy »

Hi Pendragon,

this is something i find incredibly frustratingas well, I also just take jobs that are a fit for me not what i would love to do.
things will be going well and then comes the changes, restructuring what ever you want to call it. I have currently had to reapply for my job and it is not the same job anymore, I have found out I have a job again but not only has the role changed but I have to travel to a different area.
even when we declare our difficulties we don"t necessarily get the adjustments we are legally entitled to in redeployment.
this situation has made me very depressed in the past, so this time I have seen a Councilor who has understanding of these challenges to manage my stress.
I was wondering if you could talk to anyone in Human resources about future planning for your deployment.
I so sympathize with your situation,I have to start at my new job in two weeks.
please keep us informed with how you get on!

Best Ditsy