Did dyspraxia assessment but confused and not convinced by the test or results

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mr_Tom_one
Getting settled in

Did dyspraxia assessment but confused and not convinced by the test or results

Post by Mr_Tom_one »

Hi, I haven't posted on here for a while. After spending some time looking into dyspraxia and feeling that I fitted the symptoms, I finally did a test with Annette Dickens about a year ago. I want to point out right away that I'm in no way criticising Annette, who I thought was very professional and friendly and I think did the test correctly. Anyway, I went through all the questions and exercises and did pretty well at most of them. I think my writing was slower than average, and there was a difference between my IQ and cognitive ability, but basically I didn't fit the criteria for dyspraxia.

I was a little worried at the time that the tests just didn't seem to address what I actually struggle with, but I had a lot on and just thought I didn't have dyspraxia, that's the end of it. Anyway, a year has passed and I'm still struggling as much as ever with work related things. The issues I have are:

Finding it very hard to stay organised, I can be organised if I focus entirely on that, but any distraction and it goes
Finding it very tough to stay on top of admin
Being slow at doing physical tasks, for example tidying the kitchen at work, tidying the house
Finding it very hard to think on the spot, for example answering a customer's query.
Finding it very hard to relax and having disturbed sleep

To give some examples - After years of doing bar type work in a cinema, when I moved to a new site I still found I was having to ask much younger members of staff how to do things, and what do do, even after months. Also forgetting things I'd been told a few minutes earlier, which is a problem when you're dealing with customers and need to give them information and tell them where to go.

Leaving a working holiday in a youth hostel after a week because in spite of trying super hard I just couldn't make the beds and change the sheets and do the cleaning fast enough, and I found running the breakfast bar equally difficult.

So - I thought that maybe the test I did looked too narrowly at dyspraxia in an academic setting. I don't know how you'd assess for the problems I have, but I need to get to the bottom of them. Are there any alternative ways of assessing it? Has anyone else had this experience?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Did dyspraxia assessment but confused and not convinced by the test or results

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again Tom

Dyspraxia does seem to be a wily beast to detect and define. The difficulties you have do at least seem to fit the profile and they are clearly detrimentally affecting your 'normal' day to activity, peace of mind and happiness.

As part of your assessment did you receive a written report or letter?. Could you email or telephone Annette to ask her further questions about the conclusions that can be drawn from your assessment result?

The Dyspraxia Foundation may also be worth a call or email to see what thay can suggest.

Try not to be hard on yourself though know that is difficult to abide by as our dreams often seem to be scuppered in the execution You're quite clearly not afraid to try so I think you can be proud of that and you're always welcome here, formal diagnosis or not.

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Mr_Tom_one
Getting settled in

Re: Did dyspraxia assessment but confused and not convinced by the test or results

Post by Mr_Tom_one »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply. It's interesting - I seem to fit loads of the criteria for dyspraxia, but being slow and poor at sports isn't really something which would be picked up in an office based assessment. Equally I don't know how they'd test for being disorganised.

Also there are things like being good with children and old people or having a really good long term memory which seem to be found in dyspraxics which I definitely have.

I've emailed the Dyspraxia Foundation, I'll see what they've got to say
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I too have a pretty awesome recall of obscure and disparate fact as well as a strong empathy for others which are considered by some to be dyspraxic strengths. I can be organised but don't always deal well with change or uncertaintity that defies my logic/understanding.

Normal is subjective and I think other environmental and sociological? factors influence how we fair. The metaphorical square peg in a round hole.

Please let us know how you get on.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Mr_Tom_one
Getting settled in

Post by Mr_Tom_one »

I got an automated reply and need to fill out an online form... Will do that in a second.

I found this article and a few similar things today - it's a close fit for me, so maybe an alternative explanation for the problems I've been having, and my strengths

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitne ... ve-people/

My friend told me I was sensitive the other day, I find it hard to think of myself like that, but in reality I think I am incredibly sensitive.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Interesting reading there was a discussion on here re Sensory Processing Disorder http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... Spd#p30255 that may also be interesting.

Being difficult to pigeon hole can be both a blessing and a curse but we're all a unique mix.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Mr_Tom_one
Getting settled in

Post by Mr_Tom_one »

Hi again,

thought I'd get back to reply on this thread. Recently I had the thought that it may be ADD which is causing my problems. It seems to be a good fit, especially the trouble I have with tuning out of a conversation when I'm dealing with customers at work. I'm currently reading a book about organising for ADD people and the problems they describe feel very familiar. I'll see about getting assessed for that I think.
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I think I have moderate dyspraxia. When I did an assessment with a university, part of a student research project , the student said mild/moderate dyspraxia ( I was having a good day).

When I had my diagnosis, I did it with a trainee assessor on the cheap, I did the tasks in a shorter period of time (it was not explained - the time allocated), my coordination result was worse than expected, but the assessment said my dyspraxia is certainly moderate, my difficulties are severe, but I did the tasks in a shorter time than expected.

I had a assessment for aspergers traits, my mother said I have never had any fundamental problems due to aspergers traits.

I had a non-standard diagnosis, consisting of a 10 minute chat with a psychitarist who was horrible, in 2004. He said "aspergers traits not a problem". The diagnosis says I have an Autistic Spectrum Disorder without a mention of aspergers, I think, I am not severe enough to have a diagnosis of asperger syndrome, but I am on the Autistic Spectrum. Now I know aspergers traits means borderline asperger syndrome .

There is a lack of research on adults with aspergers taits/asperger syndrome and dyspraxia. Some psychologists says I have to have asperger syndrome, because I have to have had the full traid of impairments as a child, which is nonsense, because they compare children who just have asperger syndrome or asperger syndrome as their main neuro-diverse condition !
Jules
Getting settled in

Post by Jules »

I am interested in your concerns about your assessment not being relevant to everyday life - this is a concern I have as I go into an assessment by a Neuropyschologist next month, because the letter I have been sent speaks of ""paper-and-pencil tests, solving a few problems and answering questions".