Could my son have dyspraxia?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Beau87
New member - welcome them!

Could my son have dyspraxia?

Post by Beau87 »

My son is 7 years old and for as long as I can remember he has been 'clumbsy'.
My mother works with primary aged children and she first suggested dyspraxia, my Dad also had heard a radio show about it and couldn't believe how much they were describing Connor.
A few of his 'symptoms':
Constant falling, tripping over his own feet, fresh air, anything on the floor. We went through a period at school with weekly phone calls to tell me he had fallen and hit his head/knee/arm.
He can't ride a bike, even with stabilisers he struggles to be able to engage his feet to move smoothly.
2 years of one to one swimming lessons have culminated in to just being able to very basically swim (in his own way), arm movements are very jerky and he really struggles to make smooth movements in the water.
He struggles massively with dressing himself, buttons, zips, clasps etc are all a no go.
He struggles with standing still, it most often ends up with him falling on the floor - standing at the supermarket till I will often look around and he'll be on the floor.
His handwriting is very bad & drawing is quite basic compared with his peers.

He is a very smart bright boy, very academic (handwriting aside) his English and maths work go above average & he's an avid reader.

I'm cornered that a trip to the doctors won't give me any answers, that they'll just tell me he's an average 7 year old - I've been told some doctors dismiss worries and it's very hard to diagnose.

Has anyone got any advice? Do you think the list of 'symptoms' sounds like dyspraxia?

Thanks so much for reading
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Could my son have dyspraxia?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome. So what have the school said, if anything re his development and general clumsiness?

We're not qualified and it would never be appropriate for us to make this kind of determination on the strength of a post on a web forum.

Go armed with info and examples and if your GP fobs you off, keep up with the polite persistance. The Dyspraxia Foundation are also worth speaking to and/or you can visit their website for advice.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)