You know you're dyspraxic when

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: You know you're dyspraxic when

Post by Tom fod »

hobnobgoblin wrote:you know you're dyspraxic when... you restart a thread that's been dead for months...
Yes but we make our own rules here 8-) :banana: :evilb:

Feel feel free to post to threads even if they've been dormant for months or years. You may want to bear in mind that If the post your responding to was a specific question from a member written way back then it might not be seen by that person. However, that's not so say it won't be useful/helpful to others here.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

yeah I don't think there is one thread that I have locked, unless on my route to deleting a spam message. so basically take your pick from 28/3/2017 to something like 1/2/2006, as long as something relevent to the topic we are very relaxed bunch of people :-) pretty sure all the topics are still open for discussions, then everything is take your pick.

you know your Dyspraxic when you check you got everything, then you go somewhere to find out you forgotten something, like mobile because you put it down to put your jacket on! Doe!! lol, this happened to me quite a few times over the years. and I know I got a set routine, of checking I got everything, which the answer is yes, as phoned parents to say on my way. and then go right I need to put my jacket on next, but instead of putting the phone in the jacket while it is in my hand, I always put it down on a unit. simular thing happened last night twice. had it a couple of times in my hand, and go where on earth is it!! lol
pixiewithdocs
Getting settled in

Post by pixiewithdocs »

Oh my gosh Shadwell i keep doing that with my keys...i pick 'the essentials' out of my bag to check i have them, remember i need a coat, then strut out the flat without keys purse or phone. Ooh Mama the stairs get a kicking!
Aorta/tattoo the artery/with acute artistry
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I just told my girlfriend "Never tell a dyspraxic what they can't do, for he shall go forth and prove you correct".

Meant tounge in cheek :-$
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Jim wrote:I just told my girlfriend "Never tell a dyspraxic what they can't do, for he shall go forth and prove you correct".

Meant tounge in cheek :-$
If this were FB I'd have to like this.
How dare you say I cannot rollerskate I'll show you. CRASH moan Err can you take me to casualty please
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Sheryl
New member - welcome them!

Post by Sheryl »

You friend really does not want to offer you a cup of tea because they know your going to knock or kick it over. I've knocked and kicked 1000's of drinks over in my life time no matter how many times I check where it is etc
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

When you slow down when leaving a shop/store doorway to let the person your with out first , to see if they turn left or right!!! As you have no idea from which direction you came when entering the store/shop ha ha
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

TeaCake wrote:When you accidentally set fire to your napkin- then panic and pick it up (why?!) then miss-throw it onto a bigger pile of napkins by mistake during Christmas dinner ONE TIME, and ever since then your family have banned candles from any table you sit on. Including in restaurants. haha oops.

When you are playing a game of pool with new friends (ones who haven't already learnt that there is a meter wide danger zone around you) and when focusing really hard to hit a ball with the pool cue- you whack a poor unsuspecting guy standing behind you, right in the balls instead! woops sorry! #-o

When your boyfriend (who's in the army) regularly says "I've got more bruises and injures from going out with you, than when I was in Afghanistan!" oh dear! the poor guy lol! :lol:

also-I've always preferred watching programs with subtitles on, and from this thread it looks like there might be a link with dyspraxia? That's really interesting!
Hi TeaCake

Apologies I don't think we or I have ever welcomed you here

Snap I once set fire to my napkin at a Spanish Restaurant. Luckily I beat out the flames with my dessert spoon before they could set off the smoke alarms!

As for Pool related Dyspraxia I was once told a Lady had flashed her chest at me to try to put me off a shot yet I was so intent on the shot (which I still missed) I never even noticed!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Post by otis_b_flywheel »

I fell off my bike this morning. I was in a hurry and was trying to carry a bulky parcel to the post office under my arm and at the same time mount a pavement one-handed. I have several grazes and a bruised rib to show for it. Should know better at 57 ;-)
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."
Jay128k

Re:

Post by Jay128k »

Daniel wrote:You know you're dyspraxic when you're leaving a restaurant and you have to go to the doorway before attempting to put on your coat, so as to avoid hitting people in the face, or knocking over a candle on one of the tables and setting the restaurant on fire!
Wow glad it’s not just me that needs a 6 foot perimeter when putting on a coat then you put it on and you realise the arm is inside out
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

You know you're dyspraxic when you walk into a shop, manage to catch the belt of your coat on a display rack, the shelf splits in two and bags of sweets go flying all around the shop. As you stoop down to pick up one half of the shelf you manage to catch your bag onto something else and the other half of the shelf goes flying in the opposite direction.... and all you can think is "oh no, not again!"

You know you're dyspraxic when you can't manage to walk into a room without catching the pocket/sleeve/hem/other random part of an item of clothing that your are currently wearing on the door handle, bringing you to an abrupt stop whilst you untangle yourself from the door and attempt to walk into the room for a second time....

You know you're dyspraxic when you can't say "dyslexic" and "dyspraxic" in the same sentence without inventing a few new words such as dysplexic.

You know you're dyspraxic when you could fill a whole forum on your own whilst finishing the sentence "you know you're dyspraxic when..."
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Scarlet

Welcome

I too find I have difficulties with doors/doorways.

Hope you find the Forum helpful
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

flat_ted

Post by flat_ted »

You know you're dyspraxic when you trip over the table during your dyspraxia assessment :lol:
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Scarlet wrote:You know you're dyspraxic when you can't say "dyslexic" and "dyspraxic" in the same sentence without inventing a few new words such as dysplexic."
Ah yes.... but you can get away with that because quite honestly and frankly the majority of people haven't the scoobiest doo about learning difficulty anyway.

Maybe we ought to play a game of who can come up with most outrageously silly but believable term/name for a learning difficulty whilst saying it deadpan to the unsuspecting.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
RGabb
Getting settled in

Post by RGabb »

You know when your Dyspraxic when you go to fuel station thinking you have money, fill up your car and then realise you have no money left on your card when its declined and you have ask your Dad for his details so it can be paid. Very embarrassing especially when you have lots of people looking at you and then you end up late for work.