made a complete prat off myself again

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

invisible2014
Regular Poster

made a complete prat off myself again

Post by invisible2014 »

Hi I went to tho interview,I looked stupid,felt stupid,was waffling on and I ticked yes for disability due to dyspraxia and he said I'm obviously not disabled so was affecting me to be disabled I messed up and my mum works there I felt so humiliated still do I just go to these interviews making complete prats of myself I can tell I didn't get this job
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: made a complete prat off myself again

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again

Really sorry to hear it did not go well. I had the same difficulty in that I always failed at interview.

Your interviewers apparent attitude to disability is disappointing and I guess this as well as the pressure of the whole situation probably threw you? It would me too.

When are you likely to hear the result and can you ask about feedback? I'd almost be minded to write to them pointing out very politely that not all disabilities are visible.

I appreciate this is little comfort but I would have felt the same.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
invisible2014
Regular Poster

Post by invisible2014 »

Thankyou tom,he was expecting me to be disabled I find out in a few days by the end of the week if I'm successful but I just know I didn't do well enough to pass,I feel like a complete failure,I don't know why i bother going to interviews putting myself through this I just make myself look like a complete prat,thankyou tom for replying
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You're welcome.

Think 'Complete Prat' could be fairly levelled at your interviewer. Preparing and having a 'just in case' polite and unassuming response to that sort of interviewer gaffe might be useful as politely being able to explain why you think an interviewer is wrong could work in your favour

Keep trying and try not to lose hopem
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
invisible2014
Regular Poster

Post by invisible2014 »

Aww thankyou tom id really appreciated ,got 7 othes interviews coming up but tbh dpnt think I'm well enough to attend xx
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Well you're certainly getting the interviews even if the stress they're causing you is pushing you to the brink and plugging away is hurting. Do let them know if you can't attend or choose to drop out. Some might be able to reschedule for you.

You will get there one day but can't promise it will be a smooth ride. This site is here for you to vent and hopefully we can provide some measure of comfort.

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

maria
Regular Poster

Post by maria »

I wouldn't automatically assume you didn't get the job because you "waffled on". I waffled on at an interview once and left convinced they must have thought me an idiot and there was no way they'd take me on. But I actually got the job and stayed in that job for 23 years, only leaving when voluntary redundancy was offered and I was nearing retirement age. Also, I don't know exactly what the interviewer said re your dyspraxia but he might have been putting a positive spin on things, believing it might not impact on your work too much.

If you don't get the job, don't take it personally. There are thousands of people chasing one job these days and thousands of reasons someone might be rejected. I arrived very early for another interview many years ago. Five minutes later, the Heavens opened and it teemed and teemed and teemed for the rest of the day. I remain convinced I didn't get the job because I was warm and dry and the three interviewers were absolutely drenched! :D