am unsure

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lumic
Power poster

am unsure

Post by Lumic »

hi jus wonder if i could have some opinions on my carrer plans for the future

am off to uni in sept to hoepfully do biomedical science with a view to become a GP (in around 10yrs time) well this is my plan now but will prob cahnge my mind like always. but really do want to stick with at least one plan in my life

basically asking do u think i could relistically become a GP since am dyspraxic and have ADD too. i mean i dont mind meeting new people infact i quite like it , the hours can be flexible, the pays pretty good, i like helping people, most of the works done by computer and most doctors writing is illegible anyways!! plus i really like science as its the one thing i can do (well i tend to drop alot of equipment and break test-tubes but hey i cant be purfect all the time!! O:) ) there can be alot of pressure but isnt there in everyjob? oh and organisational skills but surely theres methods to overcome this? (i am so unorganised i sometimes forget to eat!)

i dunno jus want some opionions i suppose as feel like i may just be kidding myself that ill be able to do it.

hope to hear from people
my aviator reminds me not to do what i always do
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I don't know the exact job requirements of a GP but I'd say that in terms of jobs it comes down to the individual far more than any disorder they may have. Forum members enjoy a wide range of careers and there's definitely no one-size-fits-all solution for jobs for dyspraxics. Some *may* be more suitable on the whole for dyspraxics than others but at the same time there are always some people who buck the trend, not least as dyspraxia can manifest itself in different ways within different individuals.

You are the best person to know if a certain profession will suit you as you know what things you like and don't. If you need a second opinion try asking those who know you well as they should be familiar with the sort of person you are and whether they think that would fit into the general GP mould.

Good luck and keep us posted with how you get on,

Dan.
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

I reckon u should go for it. U never know until u try. U seem so keen and enthusiastic and that attitude should help u thru any difficult parts.
I personally feel that my dyspraxia has made me a more determined person, if that is the case for you too, then you really should be fine. Anyway, everyone is different, and I really dont think dyspraxia should prevent u from tryin anythin (OK, I need to take some of my own advice here lol)
I mean, someone without dyspraxia might try to be a GP and not make it for whatever reason, and I reckon bein dyspraxic may be an advantage...u may spot diagnosises that other non dyspraxic doctors don't see at first, or at all. I bet there's doctors pracitsing now that have dyspraxia and may not even realise it themselves. You can be one of the rare doctors who has actually heard of dyspraxia, and we definately need more of them!!
U could be brilliant! :banana:
Good luck!
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

thanks for the words of inspiration \:D/

i shall be the best GP in the world for all fellow dyspraxics and ADD suffers and wont let anything hold me back (well ill try not to last time i had an exam i shattered my wrisy falling down the stairs!!)

i suppose its a case of self motivation ( ny tips on that greatefully recieved) self belief (again tips welcome) and a bit of determination (which i have as i want my son to be proud of his mummy oh n wanna show the world that i can do things)
my aviator reminds me not to do what i always do
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

You go girl! If u don't try u may regret it, but if any any chance it doesn't work out, I bet u wont regret giving it a go!
U can do it!! (Q superhero music)
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D