Phobias/Fears

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shambles
New member - welcome them!

Phobias/Fears

Post by Shambles »

When I was very young, I developed a fear of trees ... yes, trees. This was mostly because they reminded me of 'monsters', I didn't like how tall they where and hated the way they moved in the wind. I was afraid that if I walked past a tree it would attack me or take me away. This probably sounds crazy, but that's what I really thought.
This fear was worsened by the fact that my mother used to use my phobia as blackmail so that I'd do what I am told ... This is probably what made me agoraphobic as a child.

I'm almost twenty now, and my fear of trees is not as severe as it used to be. Although, there are certain trees that I am still completely petrified of - such as willow trees and oak trees. Trees at night are the worst... All of this probably makes me sound slightly insane, but it is true.

So, I was wondering are there any 'strange', or uncommon, phobias that you suffer from? Are there any phobias that you have overcome? How did you overcome them?
While other take off their shoes
to run into the see and far off places,
I am stranded on the promenade,
struggling to untie my laces...
maria
Regular Poster

Re: Phobias/Fears

Post by maria »

Shambles, I've never heard of a phobia of trees before, but I have a non-dyspraxic friend who has a phobia of caravans. She says she feels sick whenever she passes one. My theory is that maybe her Mum felt sick when passing a caravan while pregnant with her. Maybe your fear started when you were a baby and a tree shaking in the wind frightened you?

CrazyRom, fear of dogs is in the top ten of most common phobias. I was petrified of them when I was a kid. I'm still very wary of certain breeds, but I now take my brother's dog out on a fairly regular basis. He's a Labrador, very gentle temperament, and got used to socializing with other dogs and people at a very early age. So even tho he's always keen to greet any dog no matter what breed I prefer to give Rottweillers and bull terrier types a wide berth. Because we go out regularly to the same park I've got to know other dog owners and there are at least four or five other dogs that I am perfectly okay with - never thought that would happen!

I think with phobias you need to work on overcoming them gradually. So with dogs I would suggest reading/looking up on line about helpful dogs (usually Labradors tho I'm biased!) like guide dogs, hearing dogs, assistance dogs, dogs that visit hospital patients etc. And maybe with trees do something similar (tho I don't think there are any helpful trees! :grin: ) just start by looking at pictures of trees, reading about them etc.

Hope that helps!
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I have managed to grow out of most of my phobias or at least get to a stage where they don't bother me.

I think as long as you can rationalise something then it need not worry you.

As a child, I was afraid of the dark, as an adult I can quite happily roam about in near pitch darkness completely unconcerned.

My mums phobia of spiders rubbed off me, as a child the merest sight of one would be enough for me to run screaming from a room. As an adult, although I still don't like them I can calmly 'dispose' of them.

My childhood phobia of needles, where I'd cowardly resist any kind of injection or blood test gradually subsided to calm indifference, although always turn my eyes away, and I definitely don't like a needle any where near my mouth, I can cope with it when it has to happen.

One of my greatest fears is drowning, which is borne out of my continued inability to swim.

Plus there is the social anxieties which are probably my biggest genuine worries, due the actual anxiety I feel around other people, which to this day is compounded by the over sensory issues.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Matt1988
Getting settled in

Post by Matt1988 »

When I was a child it was almost anything you can think of. I was very averse to new situations and cautious of adults.
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

For me its needles really hate them any thing to do with things being stuck into skin makes me feel a sick always been the same dunno why.
Dunno if this counts but I also hate having my picture taken always makes me feel very nervous.
SPT

Post by SPT »

Here's a weird one. I've always had an intense phobia of stickers and clothing labels. I can't even think about them. Just writing them makes me feel a bit sick! I've heard that a lot of people with dyspraxia have deep-set phobias. I wonder why this is.

This is my first post in this forum.

I'm 25, have Dyspraxia and am trying to learn more about it and how to cope with it in adult life.

SPT
If I got rid of my demons, then my angels would leave too.
Jakey

Post by Jakey »

I don't like swings, kinda. I've been on a few big hammock like ones and I like them when they're stationary or lightly swaying but when it starts to swing fast and hard I quickly switch to full on wimp mode. Literally kicking and shouting lookin like such a weirdo.

Don't really like roller coasters either, and I find feet quite weird. I'm very averse to being touched by another person's foot.
OneClumsyDragon
Getting settled in

Post by OneClumsyDragon »

I hate needles and really sharp knives ugh
All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.
Alchemilla_Al

Post by Alchemilla_Al »

I'm terrified of slipping over. If the ground seems a bit slippy when I'm walking on a hill I can end up unable to move for a while. Every foothold starts to look far too steep to stand on even if it's not.

A slightly stranger one is things swinging. If I see one of those big cardboard signs hanging from wire in the supermarket and it's swinging I have trouble walking under it. Can't leave the cord of the bathroom light swinging either. But unlike Jakey above I love going on swings (as long as they're going straight and in control).
Trouble with the trolley, eh?
katherine100
Getting settled in

Post by katherine100 »

I don't know if I should admit to this phobia, as it's so weird and really personal, but I feel for you with your fear of trees and you should know you're not the only one with a powerful, unusual fear you just can't shake. So here goes, I am genuinely scared of some toilets! It's the old fashioned ones with the long pipes and dangling chains I can't handle. When I was very young my sister told me snakes live in the cisterns of these loos and that they might come down and bite me! Silly, funny childhood stuff but even now I know that's ridiculous they still really scare me. Luckily for me there are less and less of them around now. Still if there's an old looking toilet block I haven't been to before I won't go in just in case. Crazy but there you go.

Anyway if it was more of an issue (like I say there are less of these around now) I'd probably try therapy and hypnosis. It worked for me with my other fear of spiders, I'm much better at dealing with them now, and it could help you with trees. It costs a bit but it was really worth the expense for me. Good luck! :)
Ditsy

Post by Ditsy »

Hello one clumsy dragon,

I can really relate to your phobia of sharp knives I used to break out in a sweat at the sight of one as a child and I honestly think it was because my coordination was so bad there was a possibility I could slice something of myself like a finger, I have got over that now however my family tell me they cannot bear to watch me chop anything up when I am cooking because they swear I am going to accidentally stab myself and no one will ever let me cut up pumpkin ever they all come running :)
KayleighA

Post by KayleighA »

This is really interesting to read. I have always had an irrational fear of polystyrene. People find it funny but to me it's a genuine fear, if i'm even in the same room as someone opening packaging with it in the hair on my arms will stand on end, I feel shivers down my spine and my mouth goes all dry.
Max Malini

Post by Max Malini »

I'm still scared of the dark. I can cope if some one in the room with me but on my own I sleep with the light on. I also hate being touched especially on the head. But not realy a fear.