I wear out shoes really quickly?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

SansaBaby
Getting settled in

I wear out shoes really quickly?

Post by SansaBaby »

Anyone else do this?

I get new shoes every year for Christmas and on my birthday (in June) and they usually only last a few weeks before they're wrecked; soles with holes in, rubber pulling apart on soles/front etc.

I've tried different types and styles of shoes; ballet flats, sandals, leather shoes, trainers doesn't matter what they are they wear out quickly. The longest I've managed before wearing out a pair of shoes is about 8 weeks, but usually it's a lot sooner 4-5 weeks, the worst was a pair that wore out in a matter of days.

It's not through lack of trying to look after my shoes, it's just I physically walk by basically dragging my feet along the ground so they wear out.

Anyone know of a style that'll last a bit longer? I'm female so ladies shoes suggestions please. I can't afford to keep replacing pairs of shoes every month. I do a lot of walking as I can't drive usually do 15,000+ steps a day which will likely go up when my daughter starts nursery next week and I have a 1 hour round trip twice a day.

Thanks
Suspected Dyspraxic

Mother to a beautiful daughter (b. 28/6/15) and a cat
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: I wear out shoes really quickly?

Post by Tom fod »

I'm a bloke so not unsurprisingly I know very little of ladies shoes (which no doubt comes as a relief to many!). Suffice to say my shoes don't last all that long either. I'm becomingly increasingly convinced that shoe quality and sturdiness is declining (or am I just getting more miserly and more like Victor Meldrew (of One Foot in the Grave fame)

When you get a new pair do you rotate them with other pairs? What influences your choice, do you go for style over construction, or do you consider both aspects? I could go on and bore you about what I look for, but I sense it's likely quite different from what you choose and I could very well put my foot in it (or best not). Even attempting to wear ladies shoes would land me in casualty 8-)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
SansaBaby
Getting settled in

Post by SansaBaby »

I normally only have one pair of shoes at a time as I just physically can't afford more than one, although in Summer Months I usually have a pair of sandals to go alongside my regular everyday shoes so they shoes don't seem to wear out as quickly in the summer.

Comfort more than anything is important, I'm not a big lover of fashion in general usually wearing baggy tshirts and jeans so shoes that go with that style are nice but not essential.

I hadn't thought of extra pairs, might be worth scanning the local charity shops to see if they have my size, even if it's just to not wear out "my favourite" or newest pair as quickly.

Thanks Tom
Suspected Dyspraxic

Mother to a beautiful daughter (b. 28/6/15) and a cat
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

If you're doing 15'000+ steps per day then you are going to be wearing shoes out. I imagine that relatively few people get anywhere near the 'reconmneded' 10'000 per day.

I tend to average at least 15'000 per day and I too wear to shoes quickly. It's a combination of an abrasive style of waking and the sheer distance I rack up.

I've settled on Lonsdale trainers for me because the price is reasonable, I find them comfortable and they are as durable as most other makes.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

I tend to be same, I think its mainly just a case of an awkward walking style combined with a lot of walking, I've tried a number of different styles of shoe and the best I've found by far are DM's (Dr Martins).
There a bit more expensive than most, I think my current pair cost about £120 but they've lasted me well over 2 years now nothing else has managed more than 6 months.
They take a little wearing in but once you get used to them there very comfortable especially if you buy the gel insoles, if you decide to buy a pair some advice; don't buy online go in store for two reasons 1.) there are a lot of fakes out there 2.) dockers seem to be oddly sized I'm an 8.5 in every other shoe but in DM's I'm just about a 7.
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

I also tend to wear them out quite a lot, with how I walk. I sometimes blame the pavements and the gravel. I tend to go for cheaper pairs of trainers like no more than £15 per pair. shoes last me a lot longer as I only where them rarely like the captain night on the cruise and during the evenings.