Workplace needs assessment

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Peerpower
Getting settled in

Workplace needs assessment

Post by Peerpower »

Hi, does anyone have experience of a workplace needs assessment?

I've read some info on them but am nervous about having them come into my place of work. I have no idea what they'll look at, who they'll talk to or what happens after.

Is it worth it?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Workplace needs assessment

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Leanne

Have you broached the subject of dyspraxia with your immediate boss/HR people yet. How did (s)he.they react?

There are various organisations offering needs assessments and they should explain in detail of how the assessment process works and be willing to answer any specific questions you might have.

Generally they will want to understand what your responsibilities are and the areas of difficulty you are experiencing. (it would probably be useful to prepare a list) They should then provide you with a written report detailing recommendations for reasonable adjustments that will help you carry out your role. You can then have a conversation with your boss/HR department about how that can better support you so you can give them your best. These provisions should be tailored to your specific needs so that you can perform your role effectively.

Generally the only person they speak to is you, but you'll have to inform at least some people at your workplace as regards arranging a suitable appointment time, booking a meeting room etc.

Hope this helps but don't be afraid to ask anymore questions here, of your employer, or of the organisation being engaged to provide the assessment.
Last edited by Tom fod on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to improve response having looked at other posts
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)