UK aged 50

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jules
Getting settled in

UK aged 50

Post by Jules »

I'd like to understand what assessment or help I might be able to get. I'm in UK aged 50, not working or claiming, and absolutely fed up with dyspraxia affecting everyday boring stuff.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: UK aged 50

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Jules

It's a bit of a lottery unfortunately. You could set up an appointment with your GP and take along a list of what you struggle with and the impact on your day to day life to see if he/she can suggest something that's useful/acceptable to you. Any help is unlikely to be dyspraxia specific but things to help you lessen stress and anxiety are worthwhile.

You could also contact the Dyspraxia Foundation http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... f=1&t=4524. in the small hope there is an adult group in your area

We tend to be strivers and are often not really good at self acceptance, and of course being dyspraxic really messes with this.

I hope that at least finding us here has helped a little
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Bump
New member - welcome them!

Post by Bump »

Hello Jules,

Did you follow it up? Was it useful? I am nearly 50 and am also considering getting assessed.

Best wishes
Jules
Getting settled in

Post by Jules »

Thanks for asking, this may be helpful to others to know my progress, it seems very slow, given that I waited until I felt at my wits end before asking for help. I visited my GP for a diagnosis last autumn, followed by a trip to a Neurologist in the spring (suggested brain is healthy) and then a brain scan (confirmed brain is healthy). I have now been referred to a Neurosychologist and my appointment is next month. The letter suggests that I should take along someone who knows me well to provide additional background information. I am not keen to do that. Instead I may take a list of my academic achievements, my everyday difficulties, why I feel I need help now, and a few notes about my childhood which seem relevant. The letter says I will be asked to perform "paper-and-pencil tasks, solving a few problems and answering questions". However, it mentions nothing of physical tasks, which rather surprises me as my concern is that I am excellent at class-room stuff and yet I struggle tremendously with normal stuff, or in the words of my partner, I'm someone with a degree who can't operate a mug properly. I will update again in due course. I am finding that admitting my difficulties after half a century of hiding them is difficult emotionally. I am so used to being misunderstood and not taken seriously that my present course of action feels risky.