Working in Dementia Care

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tillybob
New member - welcome them!

Working in Dementia Care

Post by tillybob »

Hi I would like to know if anyone works with people with Dementia? I myself have worked in a care home with people with dementia for 5 years and I find it so rewarding and I find it so easy to communicate with people with dementia. (sorry if this becomes a long winded explanation) I feel like I ''fit in'' with them (even though I do fit in normally) but I seem to have more understanding than a lot of carers have and I 'get them', and seem to deal with behaviour problems easily (it seems like common sense to me) and I had a breakthrough the other week and realised why. As a child we have problems with fine and gross motor skills, visual perception, spatial awareness, clumbsyness, poor concentration etc etc...well as I have got older I have got a lot better with all of those things and have had occupational therapy and speech therapy, and its sometimes referred to 'developmental dyspraxia' because we generally get better as we develop. Well people with dementia loose their ability to do certain things gradually over time and loose their cognitive abilities and such, as their dementia declines and so they develop these problems (is everyone with me?) I was reading on alzeimers society website about clumbsyness in getting dressed, and that is called Apraxia, and then it dawned on me that it is the opposite of dyspraxia(this is what I think). So I think the reason why I understand is because I had some of their problems when I was younger and I know how frustrating it can be, especially if people don't understand and they try and rush you and don't talk to you right, or listen to you properly or talk to you as if your not there and not included. Also I am very good at reading body language and eye contact where some people lack.

Thanks.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Working in Dementia Care

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

Many of us are especially caring and do have empathy and perhaps more time and patience with others who struggle with things.

The developmental in developmental dyspraxia generally refers to an impairment or immaturity in development. Hardly complimentary and why do we have to be compared with a norm. However as you point out we can learn to do things if given time and patience (and we may find a non traditional way that we find is better/easier)

I had to look up Apraxia which ( loosely) is defined as a neurological condition that renders a person unable to perform tasks they are physically capable of.

Dyspraxia broken down is dys ~ difficulty with; and praxia from latin praxis - doing. Apraxia is stronger in terms of its stressing an inability
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
tillybob

Post by tillybob »

Thank you for your reply. It does make a lot of sense though on what happens in a persons brain when someone develops dementia. I am so friendly and never get impatient with anyone. I find it hard to understand why some (emphasise the word some) people work in that field of care (or any care) if they haven't got empathy or understanding etc. I generally like spending time with people with dementia because they are nice to be around. I've got 2 voluntary jobs besides my payed job, and that is in dementia care as well.
Geeky_Vegan
Getting settled in

Post by Geeky_Vegan »

Hi!

I've worked in a Dementia care home for 2 years now.
I must admit, I find some things a struggle like attention to detail, heat, etc.

But it is a rewarding career. Especially because my Dyspraxia makes me caring, compassionate and patient.
I see some people at work who seem to be a lot less of these things than I am.
Blowing out my candle won't make yours shine brighter.
Peerpower
Getting settled in

Post by Peerpower »

Hi,

This is really interesting reading you experiences as I also work in a caring role, supporting people with mental health issues. I've also worked with adults with learning disabilities and behavioural difficulties. I really understand the point about understanding others behaviour and behavioural issues, and having a lot of empAthy. I see a lot of the role as common sense. I'm struggling with organising the paperwork, my time, and take longer to type up reports too.

I also have been told I have a lot of pAtience with others. Perhaps this is because I've had to be very patient with myself, seeing a things seem to take me longer lol.

I totally agree that people who have struggled with illness and disability themselves have a ton of empathy. But I wondered if it's more than our own experience that make some of us gravitate towards care work. Perhaps having our brains work the way they do and being wired they way they are helps. A nature as well as nurture situation. Or maybe I think too much lol
strawberrysmoothie

Post by strawberrysmoothie »

I worked in a dementia unit and loved it, I also worked in a care home for a year where most of our residents had dementia. I really loved it and enjoyed it. I prefer working with those who have dementia.
I currently work as a care assistant for adults with learning difficulties, for two years and I absolutely love it.
I just love to care for people.
I got to admit I struggle at times with the job and little tasks that are meant to be easy are hard for me and I have to really focus and concentrate but I love being in the care industry. it's a really rewarding job, I'm really wanting to pursue my nursing.