Do you run funny?

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Matt1988
Getting settled in

Do you run funny?

Post by Matt1988 »

Hi people I have a question about how you run or how you think you run. Have you had comments about the way you run? I have but none of them have been very helpful comments if you know what I mean.

To me when I run it feels like I am going to trip over my own feet and it also feels like I bend my knees forward and this makes it feel like I am not getting enough strength from that area. It seems like I tense up my legs in fear of tripping. Since the age of 15 I have had ligament/tendon pains which started around the inside of my knees and has extended all through my leg from hip to ankle. I have rolled over and sprained my ankle a few times I feel because of weakness in tendons.

So I asked my dad how he thinks I run because he made a comment a number of years ago. He said I don't stretch my legs enough and I 'shuffle' which would kind of match up with tensing. It could just be because I am a self-conscious runner, and in general, and I might just be tensing up because of that.

Anyway has anyone here found similar things?
Jim
Super poster

Re: Do you run funny?

Post by Jim »

Do I run funny? HELL! I walk funny.

I used to get sniggers and snide comments from other kids at school about the way I ran, the kindest comment I got was that it was almost a kind of reverse kicking style, what ever the hell that meant.

But honestly, some people waste too much time commenting on other people.

Basically... If you're dyspraxic then it's not unlikely that some coordination and spatial awareness issues are going to provide you with a rather unique gait and movement.

But it is what it is, if other people don't like it, of find it amusing, then it's their problem. Not yours.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Nyx
Getting settled in

Post by Nyx »

I run, walk and stand funny. I have been told in the past to "pick up my feet" when I walk. It has gotten worse as I always put all my weight on one leg.
lightdys
Getting settled in

Post by lightdys »

Hello :)

I walk funny but I thinks I run better. It's probably not perfect but my mother says "You run better than you walk !" :D

When I was a child, I suffered comments of others childrens : they said "you walk funny", "you run funny" "you walk bad"... etc. ](*,)

They were very suprised when they realised I could run for a long time and better than more others girls. Because I like run. Maybe, I run funny but I finished 70/800 during a school's cross \:D/

Don't worry about comments s : it's a stupid reaction for childrens ! :rolleyes:

Sorry for my probably grammar mistakes ! I'm french and I have difficulties to write English ! :whistle: Don't hesitate to correct me !
Jake468
Getting settled in

Post by Jake468 »

lightdys wrote:They were very suprised when they realised I could run for a long time and better than more others girls. Because I like run. Maybe, I run funny but I finished 70/800 during a school's cross \:D/
Wonder if there's a correlation between dyspraxia and long distance running, I've also been told I'm ok at this which I found strange as I was abysmal at absolutely everything else P.E related xD To be honest I always put it down to the fact that cross country type running requires determination whereas with most other sports that's not really enough, e.g. the 100m sprint :L
Bert
New member - welcome them!

Post by Bert »

Running is my main past time, running up to marathon distance. I know i probably run a bit awkward, but its just the way i run. My arms can be a issue, when i run downhill, rather than trying to control them and keep them quite still,i just let them flap as what has been named by my club mates as the windmill. Running on trails can be difficult as the ground can be really uneven, but i am gaining confidence every time i run on it, despite falling over 7 miles into a marathon recently, the route included stepping stones, which was interesting.
Samhain05

Post by Samhain05 »

I don't consider my running strange, but my sister assures me that I 'run like a duck' whatever that means. Supposedly I'm not allowed to do it in public around her, but I don't particularly care.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I think your sister is probably quackers to be honest ;)
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Landskerlad

Post by Landskerlad »

I trip over thin air when I try to run, so I avoid it where possible.

I tend to walk lop-sided, usually with my foot at an angle as I get a lot of pain going into my ankles ... Also tend to forget to lift my feet and end up dragging myself to where I'm going.
ichiban-no-hime
Getting settled in

Post by ichiban-no-hime »

I run and walk funny- people always tell me I walk like a duck or a penguin, because I always have my feet turned out. I can't keep them straight because it makes me feel unbalanced. As for running, even my PE teacher used to make fun of the way I run- I swing my arms weirdly in front of me, and I don't really know what else to do with them ](*,)
Even standing still is a challenge for me, as I always feel like I don't have the balance to stay stood
Alchemilla_Al

Post by Alchemilla_Al »

Showed my boyfriend a list of dyspraxia traits yesterday and he said "Oh yeah, you do wave your arms around while you're running!"

My dad once tried to do an impression of me running while we were out shopping. A bottle of soya sauce fell from his pocket and smashed all over the floor. Justice was served I think ha ha ha! :grin:
Trouble with the trolley, eh?
Jakey

Post by Jakey »

When I was younger, yeah. I used to get comments about it. I think I'm a fine runner now, though I don't do it a lot I've found I'm fairly quick which may be down to how light I am.
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

I dont run these days, got a couple of cheeky mocking during school from a few kids a lot, I walk funny sometimes and tend to wear my shoes out a lot, I blame the pavements and gravel these days, but sure can walk for miles as each year the school did a sponser walk each year starting from school with 6 check points (could not cheat as sixth formers and tutors watched us)

Also mocked a lot in PE however junior school most things were done in houses (as there were four) in Year 6 if we had rounders, or if we had class vs class no stop cricket, in secondary school the pe teacher use to pick the teams to balance the teams fairly and in hockey we were allowed to defend but no goal keeper was not mocked much in that,
michele
Getting settled in

Post by michele »

People say I walk loudly more then they say funny. I am a noisy walker except when actively sneak walking
"When none of the offfical paths lead you anywhere good there is a simple solution...forget about roads."
skyebison
Getting settled in

Post by skyebison »

Jake468 wrote:Wonder if there's a correlation between dyspraxia and long distance running
Maybe. I'm an OK endurance athlete but pretty bad at ball sports. Unfortunately I think I have bad running technique. I was training for a marathon and ended up injuring myself. That was back in 2012, I developed plantar fasciitis and I'm still fighting it (yes I've been to physical therapy, but it was more painful that the plantar fasciitis itself).