looking for a centre or support group thatmisnomer canada bc for dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

morgank82
Regular Poster

looking for a centre or support group thatmisnomer canada bc for dyspraxia

Post by morgank82 »

Hello, I'm 33 and I was born with dyspraxia. I'm looking for support groups or people that is under sa me disorder, dcd is a general in look of dyspraxia, but not a true disorder. In Canada they call it this but yet they have a lack of field in dyspraxia from its self. I got brought up not knowing any support groups field specailist that deals with only that field. I never even met someone in person under dysprexia. I know we can have different symtoms under this disorder but pretty mugh same cuz dyspraxia is a world of symtoms alone. Im having troubles again and it looks like it's coming back with trice the vengeance . I got to a point here I could use my actions just like people not under dyspraxia or not noticing. Soni thought it went away but I was dead wrong, when I had trouble at work for superiors was kinda ignorant to me and belittle me alot, so I just shut down and had action trimmers . I had to take stress leave and still on it. So the any body in Canada bc even canada that is under dyspraxia or any centre's that is dyspraxia bound so I can get physical help Or support.
Cheers..
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: looking for a centre or support group thatmisnomer canada bc for dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Morgan

You could try googling dyspraxia (or DCD) + adult support. You can limit further your search within a domain by adding site:.ca to bring back results for Canada. Sadly dyspraxia specific help for adults can sometimes be very difficult to find so don't be afraid to reach out for more general help focussed more generally towards mental health.

I had a go, entering DCD adult support BC site:.bc.ca and got a few results Possibly the most promising was this http://www.communitylivingbc.ca/home/ (appreciate you may already have already tried going down this avenue? but if not I hope it proves to be useful.)

Before I learned about/understood my dyspraxic tendencies I was having a pretty tough time and really felt I was going nowhere in my life, struggling and frustrated and having a miserable time with both home and work life). I was able to access some cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) Yeah I was sceptical too, but it did work. I think we're often harder on ourselves than anyone else is.

I think sometimes we worry (wrongly) we might be selfishly taking provision away from those with a greater need or that we are being silly and somehow just need to pull ourselves together. It really takes a a lot of strength to admit to those around you that you're struggling but you are really not alone and you'd probably be surprised about who shares similar difficulties and thoughts. Of course, there is, quite naturally a big fear that people will think less of you. ( and really that is their problem, they've overshot silly and hit full on stupid, IMHO) As guys we tend to bottle it up more and not speak out, but by brushing it under the carpet, it won't just go away, however much we hope it will.

Anyway I hope this reply is of some help or comfort. Any further questions don't be afraid to ask and I hope you find the help you need to start feeling better. We're all thinking of you so please let us know how things shape out.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

yes of corse I know there is more unfortunate kids or people out there, and I don't like people cover me in empathy. but it's a hell in a cage itself, cuz u feel guilty and don't want to talk about it, so you like what u said bottle it in alot. I actually want to write book or try writing a book about adult dyspraxia isolation in British Columbia . And have people views on it that has the disorder them selves and mental Dr that never even knew it existed. If I had the money and resources , I will open up a centre in bc for it. The problem itself it's cost alot of funds and goes blindy at times. Cuz we are complex never simple. Hidden handicapped they call dyspraxia.

right now visiting mental centre, there issuing me anxiety meds for severe deppression, but if u take a look at dysprexia it's self it's deppression. so pills are not doing any good well just a roller coaster on them and u repeat the circle instead of straighten out the salution. double masking it I call. So they can only do so much To help With out the knowledge or field . In early 80's they used me as a guinea pig, saying there trying to help me but the mental specailist were only trying to make a breakthrough on studying my mind, cuz I couldn't talk when I was 6 and I was odd to them. So they used me to there Avent age to learn about this disorder. As I kid I was scared lol, I called it lines of white coats. Half of them did not even look at who I was a kid not an object or machine. don't know if u went through same experience or others. But my childhood for few years was messed up in top of this disorder. And finally had a ignorant specailist who wrote me of as severe handicapped that could not function In world by my self. I proved them wrong but still tend to isolate my self alot. true that's not dyspraxia its self but feeling that way it is cuz it's part of u. It's unknowing.
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

And I want to go in a field of that my self, cuz like we, I'm under this disorder but can manage to some what put it out there of what needs to be done or how can we do things differently in the mental health centre's that will know not blindly. what the true conditions before it branches out into kaoss for people under dcd or true dyspraxia it self and also spd . Cuz I figure meds are just more toxic then ever under disorders that we have in the long run and for people who is trying to get rid of deppression it's a visious circle.

Sorry for spelling errors just tired. Anyways it feels like I want to just help people give back to the universe, gonna be hard under anxiety and all. But like I did when I was young I sacrificed much of my comfort to let them know what it was, to help other children pursuing same symtoms and conditions with out mixing them up alot. Or going in blindly at salutions . If I win a million dollars or 2 I would give it all to autism and dysprexia neurological research and development so they can open centre's in Canada.
Yes I read that link u sent but adult dysprexia is a rare field around these parts I'm afraid, and true they can As much as they can and propts to them. But closing your eyes and walking in to a complax area of nerves cor donation and disorders are not as good as opened eyes, canada bc needs to get it out more dysprexia wise. Cuz many people are masking it cuz there afraid cuz mental health shows no knowledge of it. I got told Las week by a 40 year practiced Dr in mental health that she never new this ex is Ted when I handed her my pat assessment .

Cheers
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again Morgan

Apologies for delay in replying and apologies that this not going to be too detailed a reply as I really ought to be getting on with painting my bathroom.

I think there are probably a great number of people whose lack of mental wellbeing stems from undiagnosed/unrecognised dyspraxia (aka DCD) and I agree help needs to be focused on the underlying cause(s) and helping to develop personal coping strategies and also promoting awareness and understanding in others. Just because we do things differently doesn't mean what we do is any less valid. My understanding is that Antidepressants are not really supposed to be used in isolation (yet they very often are) or long term and that they need to be backed up with counselling/other therapy to help the sufferer find their own natural coping strategies. This is where lack of understanding, awareness and funding comes to the fore.

The Dyspraxia Foundation produced a guide for employers which may be interesting/useful
http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/d ... ia_1-0.pdf

If the link above fails it's accessible from this page. http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/d ... ia-dynamo/
(which also has a bit of background)

I'm lucky enough to have visited BC a couple of times and I got the impression that there is probably quite a lot of pressure to be tough and self reliant. I think generally we do have a lot of this in us (we need it) but sometimes it breaks down and we can find ourselves in our own hell

Most of what very little help there is for people with dyspraxia in Britain is focussed towards helping people of school age and it does seem as though they expect people to grow out of it. Some of us continue to develop our own personal coping strategies and are successful in defying others' low expectations for us, others are sadly less successful. The dyspraxia doesn't go away we're just able to find ways to get along despite it being there, although unfortunately it can and does rear its head, especially when we're at a low ebb and our troubles are piling up. In my opinion a lot more needs to be done to understand and help people cope with the psychological impact of dyspraxia.

We've had other Canadians on the forum. You could try sending them a short private message. We really do need a good book dealing with dyspraxia in adulthood to follow on from Caged in Chaos by Victoria Biggs. A few posters here have mentioned the idea so maybe there is scope for some collaboration.

re your title "Looking for a centre or support group thatmisnomer canada bc for dyspraxia". Could we perhaps change it to Looking for a centre or support group for Dyspraxia in British Columbia/Canada?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

canada does not have a forum online for dysprexia ,I look and did so much research. nor any awareness Sept for the international word dc which sets in simular symtoms but not all. UK at least have actual dyspraxia furom online sites and little bit of awareness of some sort universities that is trying to know about dyspraxia and help or reach out. Canada as nice of my country there is, we get stuck and trapped in somewhat only help. So yes many people are afraid to step up to get diagnosed or it cost a big money for neurological information about your brain. Cuz we only have so much machines here that deals with it and again there pricy .

So like what u said we just cope or try to cope mo stay alone and scared cuz we might of new all of are coping miginisms when we were wee little kids who got a chance to get diagnosed once or properly asset , but growing up your mind can change for the worst or for better. Cuz it's self I'd a powerful tool but under dysprexia it's a powerful complex computer of dead ends alot and broken Fuzes cuz no one can help u when your adult To help u lead in a way fir success with out stress or triggering stress that will trigger dysprexia and then your childhood dyspraxia will surface again. I found that out at least. And yes I keep training and practice what I can but it's defently leaning to those years that I had my worst problems and symtoms plus more

I have spd it loOKs like now or had it but never knew it could show up this bad with vengeance. My eyes are killing me or sensory for light and some sound and my circulation suck for some reason in my hands. I eat good and I'm healthy but get frequant migraines or pulses that is annoying but shuts of when I close my eyes. Do u get that??

I don't know if it is cuz of stress or what that is completely going double of sensory pressure . Anyways thanks for talking and yes if u have the nicknames of the canada people that is under dyspraxia I would not mind messaging them. Cuz all I found was USA and europe/UK support forums online , not canada very very odd cuz dysprexia is a hidden handicap , another label that they use . So it's serous enough to have centre's like autism and dyslexia and others that supposedly dyspraxia cousin but no credit for it I Canada. Britain is rare I know but here there seem to be known field support Sept for dcd that works with other conditions around.

I have to give credit for myself also , I made it to where I was a deck hand for 5 years operating a 20 million Vessel , and could function with out anybody noticing, but I got born with sever , so I thank what I can do and accomplished but it took only 2 years to open it up again bad so they can notice ,cuz of stress from others at the work sight . And it's hard I don't want to back down cuz I know I can do it, did it before ,

Cheers.

Haha sorry about long reply . I tend to do that often .