Teaching with dyspraxia

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Vimes
Getting settled in

Teaching with dyspraxia

Post by Vimes »

So I'm 31 and have a degree. But since graduating I have been working in a low paid retail job.

I'm at the point in my life where I really need to change and get myself a proper career, but it is not easy.

For the past 2 1/2 years I have been volunteering at a Primary School. I have finally built up my confidence enough that I'm ready to finally take the next stage and apply to go back to university to study to become a Primary School teacher.

But can I actually do this? The teachers in school are full of praise for me and have encouraged me to go and have promised to give me a good reference. But I have not actually told them I have dyspraxia. The paper work I do as a volunteer is minimal. Would I be able to cope with a teachers workload?

My handwriting is terrible, can I really teach kids to write? The job consists of a great deal of writing and drawing and craft work, all things I struggle with. Am I crazy to be considering this?

Even stuff like tying a kids laces is problematic for me. It's hard enough doing my own, doing it the opposite way round boggles my mind!

Is anyone here a teacher with dyspraxia or knows of one? I'll really like to know if my goals are achievable before I commit to them.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Teaching with dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

Me again

Yes there are people who post/have posted here who are teachers/teaching assistants (not me though. Perform an advanced search of this topic and you'll see some previous posts). They obviously think you should try since they've offered to give you a reference. If you're worried about the paperwork/workload why not ask them more about it so you can make a more informed decision about what it might mean for you and get you started on planning your own personal strategies.

Disclosure is not easy but saying "I have dyspraxia and I think (a bit) differently" can and does have a positive outcomes. Sadly you will encounter some who are unwilling to accept your different ways but that's their problem. Any employer has a duty of care and a responsibility to try and get the best from their staff members. There are various options for reasonable adjustments and I'm sure you could do a good job and add benefit for the children you work with.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Vimes
Getting settled in

Post by Vimes »

Thanks for the reply again Tom. I've e-mailed the volunteer director to inform her of my situation and seek any advice. She has over 40 years of experience in the education sector so I expect her to be of great help.

I think I'm capable of going ahead and doing this. I am more worried about other peoples reactions. I'm more worried about appearing incompetent than being incompetent if that makes sense. I think I can do a good job, but I know some of the things I struggle with make me appear stupid, even though I know I am not.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You're welcome and what you say does make sense.

I think we are often more, or in many cases, hyper-aware of the fact we do things differently and some people will criticise, mock or otherwise call into question the way we do things. However, one can argue that their doing this can make them appear stupid for not accepting that others can do something differently and get an equally valid or better outcome.

I too worry quite a lot about seeming awkward/clumsy/inept at times but if people who wish to pass some form of judgement it is only valid if they have taken account of my perspective and can be constructive about how else I could do it and why that might be a better way. I'll take their suggestions on board and if they work for me I will try and keep them in mind for the next time.

It is worth getting a range of views including from members of staff who are newer to the profession and who can offer additional perspectives on the latest trends in education. No doubt things will continue to change, with or without a change of government!

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

Can you handle stress, dyspraxics tend to get stressed more often ?

Teaching is stressful, a lot of people leave after a few years, a significant number do not finish their PGCE .

A lot of administration is required, children are more demanding (some have SEN - including people who are ND and have other disabilities.)
Vimes
Getting settled in

Post by Vimes »

ALADDIN wrote:Can you handle stress, dyspraxics tend to get stressed more often ?

Teaching is stressful, a lot of people leave after a few years, a significant number do not finish their PGCE .

A lot of administration is required, children are more demanding (some have SEN - including people who are ND and have other disabilities.)
When it comes to me and stress I've found that if I have an actual physical task in front of me I'm actually pretty good at not getting stressed out and just doing what has to be done. But when I need to sitting down to plan and organise that is when I can get stressed and overwhelmed if there is a lot on my plate.

I've thought about it a lot and I think that when it comes to the teaching and controlling a class room of kids I'd be OK, if not at first then through experience I think I'd do fine. It is the
planning and administration side of it that really worries me. Especially because I think I'll end up increasing my own workload by having to do a lot of paperwork twice. My handwriting is pretty much illegible under pressure so I'm expecting to end up writing most things up for myself in my dyspraxic scrawl and then re writing legibly after which is not going to be ideal because I know the amount of paperwork I will have to do will be ridiculous as it is. It is definitely this side of things that has me doubting my ability to do the job.

I am good at outwardly appearing calm no matter how stressed I get which I think is a good trait to have. I am described as laid back by my closest friends and colleagues. They would probably be surprised by the amount of insecurities and anxieties I actually deal with.

I understand the workload for a PGCE is pretty daunting, but at the minute I'm volunteering at the school for 2 days a week and working 5 or 6 shifts a week at work as well, so I'm used to hard work and being tired all the time!

I don't honestly know if I can handle the stresses of the job until I do it I think. I don't want to commit to a PGCE until I'm confident I can do it, but confidence is something I'm lacking in unfortunately. I thing I need to just go for it, but it is as scary as hell!
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

If it teaching is your passion, do teaching. Every person with dyspraxia is different.