What apps/support/technology/adjustments help most at uni?

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

HelenS
New member - welcome them!

What apps/support/technology/adjustments help most at uni?

Post by HelenS »

With a DSA Needs Assessment and an appointment with Learning Support/Disability Services looming, I wondered what things you'd found most helpful (or not!) with studying at university?

Definitely need extra exam time, some form of mentoring/study skills support, time management/organisation, help with note-taking etc and will probably be offered some technology, but there are quite a lot of options with all these things. For example, with note-taking, there's a voice recorder or software/app like AudioNote or an actual note-taker. I'm sure there are loads of time management/organisation apps and software to chose between. From a technology perspective is a laptop better, or a pc and tablet combo? etc etc

So it would be great if people would share their thoughts please on the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to support at uni!

Thanks.
Chris0
Getting settled in

Re: What apps/support/technology/adjustments help most at un

Post by Chris0 »

Hi there I am soon to finish a master in psychology at uni there and I has a DSA assessment in september. I got more time for exams, a digital recorder and a new laptop with stuff there...Audionotaker..etc, and mind genius too. I hope that helps but feel free to give me a shout if you want
Chris0
Getting settled in

Post by Chris0 »

Also you might be able to get lecture notes in advance too by the way
HelenS
New member - welcome them!

Post by HelenS »

Chris0 wrote:Hi there I am soon to finish a master in psychology at uni there and I has a DSA assessment in september. I got more time for exams, a digital recorder and a new laptop with stuff there...Audionotaker..etc, and mind genius too. I hope that helps but feel free to give me a shout if you want
Thanks for replying Chris. What did you think of the various bits of software please? There seems to be a huge variety out there and yet the assessors only ever seem to select one or two. Can't make up my mind whether that's because they've been proven to be the best at the job, or whether it's lack of knowledge about other stuff.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

A cynic like me thinks it's just as much down to how well the different solutions are marketed by the developers/sales people and how much influence they have.

There's a bewildering choice and it can all be v confusing so don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and be open minded and creative in finding your own solutions/ways of working.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

When I started university, back in September 2008, my DSA assessment resulted in me gaining extra time in all exams (plus the provision for extensions to time allowed for essays - something I only used once), as well as a wealth of technology to support me, which included a free printer, Dictaphone and mind mapping software. After the initial assessment, the report was sent back to me to proof read and suggest changes, then it was implemented from January 2009 onwards.