links to dyslexia - hereditary?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

freida74
Getting settled in

links to dyslexia - hereditary?

Post by freida74 »

Hi I know the symptoms of dyslexia are very similar in some cases to dyspraxia and that both conditions are hereditary. does that mean that they are the same type of 'gene' or 'DNA' or whatever?

Why I ask is that ALL of my family are dyslexic and I am not - does coming from a family where 4 out of 6 members have dyslexia mean that me as one of the 6 is more likely to have a condition such as dyspraxia?

In other words I know they are similar and I know they are often both found in the same people but are they actually related??
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: links to dyslexia - hereditary?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Freida

I do believe there are links and I'm aware that some research has been done by various people though I cannot direct you to anything specific.

There is a crossover between dyspraxia and dyslexia. Some people are affected by both others by just one of the two. Of course there is a very wide spectrum and no two people are alike We all cope in different ways and to varying degrees.

It also does seem to be the case that it can be passed on. Some people are discovering they are dyspraxic as a result of a child being diagnosed with the condition and it seems that awareness is improving in at least some quarters, though it still does have a way to go.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
screengreen
Power poster

Re: links to dyslexia - hereditary?

Post by screengreen »

Dyslexia is definitely hereditary and I believe dyspraxia is too, my mother and daughter both have a diagnosis of dyslexia but have dyspraxia tendencies (I think my daughter is my daughter is dyspraxic ) but she does not want to pursue a formal diagnosis nd gets intermittent occupational therapy from me ... her mum