CHRISTMAS

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Slinky Siren
Getting settled in

CHRISTMAS

Post by Slinky Siren »

8-[ Does anyone else find this time of year totally overwhelming? I'm really struggling this year with EVERYTHING. I just can't cope with all the demands of everyday life plus Christmas. I really struggled this year with cards and as for presents and wrapping them up! Lord that's been fun. Then there is the constant putting something down and not being able to find it scenario. I shall be glad when next week comes along and I can forget all about Chritsmas and stop fretting about who's presents I have boughg and whom I have yet to buy.
Jim
Super poster

Re: CHRISTMAS

Post by Jim »

I'm going to risk coming across as a complete Scrooge here....

But I hate Christmas.

Now, I concede that I'm very probably a minority on this and many people look forward to Christmas with massive enthusiasm (and that's fine).

But for me it's extremely superficial, overly commercialized, too in your face and it forcibly reminds me of how lonely I feel. So not a particular enjoyable experience. And it's very irritating when some people insist upon trying to make you join in the "festive cheer" and inadvertently place you in the zone which aggravates any other sensory troubles you might have.

I do the bare minimum for Christmas. Gifts and/or cards (often I don't bother with cards) are reserved for immediate family only. I only ever make an effort for Christmas on Christmas day itself, I see no need for the whole twelve days thing, especially when it isn't twelve days anymore anyway but weeks in advance and afterwards.

Sometimes... I'd actually be working on Christmas day anyway but if I'm not then I stick to the small family gathering and help out with the cooking and washing up etc. I'm not one for massive parties, social gatherings and all the rest of the associated gubbings.

I'm not very fond of birthdays either, lest of all my own.

I appreciate that I hold a relatively extreme view on this, and I do not begrudge anyone else enjoying these things.. I'd just rather not be force fed it.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Andrea
Getting settled in

Post by Andrea »

I enjoy the actual Christmas bit but do get muddled with all the presents. I make lists and lists and lists that I can tick off. Then they get too messy and I have to re-write them cos I cant work out which things I have or haven't crossed off.
Christmas cards are never done in time and I always have to wait for my neighbours to send me one so that I can remember who lives where and what all their names are!
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Christmas - yea I can take it or leave it really, I defiantly don't go mad over Christmas like many other people do - yea I do the things you feel you have to do. It is a annoyance with the whole family thing and generally the whole time can be annoying - a big deal is made over it and as you get older it looses it appeal to when you were younger.

I am on the fence about Christmas - I don't mind it that much but I am not bar humbarg about it all

For me its all about new years - that's the real party :banana:
The real Mr Potato Head
Gina Trent
Getting settled in

Post by Gina Trent »

I do like christmas and usually get so exited, but this year i'm not for some reason. On christmas day it will be nice and I think I will be in the spirit. I think it's because this year has flown, and all of a sudden christmas is here, but I haven't heard all that much christmas songs on the radio, (whether it's just me, I'm not sure), that could be partly it. However, I do like to be organised when it comes to getting presents, so I usually get them in november, but I started in october this year, so I've had no rushing about. I left my cards late this year, only last week I wrote them and sent them off. Happy Christmas everyone! :-)
Slinky Siren
Getting settled in

Post by Slinky Siren »

:D Thanks everyone. Well, it came and went...for another year.

I ended up with heaps of presents I had bought and forgot about so some folk got lots and others I needed to rush out and get, but hey ho. Next year I plan on being organised...yeah, right! We'll see.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone.