Lack of determination

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Moot
Power poster

Lack of determination

Post by Moot »

I'm curious as to whether this is a familiar trait of other dyspraxics. (This short bit of backstory should be relevant.) Through my life I've never been very clever and began to know not to expect much from myself. Even if I felt I was trying hard at work, for example at uni, I would still end up with not a very high grade, an so on ('why do I even bother?' I think). Anywho, after again underachieving at uni I was put off furthering to work what I'd been studying and have been back to some jobs I could have done without a degree

I feel like I should have done more to get the best out of my career success, to get out of the old bore of same old cycle that gives me no mind stimulation. I feel so envious of those around me doing so well. Yet I feel I just seem to lack that ambitious, determined streak that so many other people have. It just doesn't feel natural to me. Sure, I can fantasise of being in a better position in life, but any more than that it's just not happening.

You might be thinking, moreorless, LAZY. Well I cannot deny I have got into a very lazy way of life, probably again due to lack of feeling I can really achieve? But anyway, yes, some of it is probably a mind used to being lazy, but I don't think that's the whole of it, because less motivated people have suddenly had a spark light up in their brain and have been able to make something of themselves.

So yeah, basically I'm wondering if any one else finds they lack the drive, the determination, the ambition and passion (whatever your preferred term!) to really grab at life to the fullest. Maybe it's just my mind closed itself long ago.
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Re: Lack of determination

Post by shadowgirl021 »

To a point, I had lots of past failures in my career, being fired from loads of places that honestly made me think why do I even want to work in this sector any more., but I do not think I lack determination, In fact I try harder if someone says something negative my about my work, and believe me they do quite often, though not as much now and through this I have achieved a lot, for example I can now iron \:D/

For me, its lack of confidence. I know what I want to do and achieve out of life but I feel like I can not achieve it. If I had the confidence, I would be definitely be determined in my abilities and feel passionate.

Reading your comment, I never thought you came across as lazy. If you keep telling yourself you can not do something, then you are going to believe it and not try even if you more then likely can. It is ok to make mistakes, but at least you can say you tried. But you went to uni, thats an achievement in itself, I never went.
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Thanks for the reply. Would've looked sooner but couldn't find the thread! :D Everything with me seems to come down to lack of confidence. What a bane on my life. Wish I could tell younger people, whatever you do, please retain your confidence; it'll save you so much crap!!
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
shisu
Getting settled in

Post by shisu »

Hi Moot,

You are not lazy, you sound just like me really and sometimes I might think I am lazy too but if I actually think about it I am quite the opposite, I work very hard but things don't come naturally to me and so things others may find simple really tax me and tire me out mentally.

One of the most crippling things about dyspraxia is the knowledge that no matter how hard you try you are always playing catch up and you have to accept a low ambition level, I suppose this is the same with any disability but because you have no obvious outward signs of a disability people can often judge you and think you are just lazy or unmotivated.