Make Up

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pooky
Administrator

Make Up

Post by Pooky »

I just wondered if anyone wears makeup?

It is something that never interested me as a child, and mum used to wear it very infrequently that I never learnt to put it on.

Sometimes I think maybe I should learn for the purposes of going out, job interviews , etc but I haven't the foggiest where to start and I fear I may poke my eyes out or something.

Or perhaps make up just isn't my thing.
Rosel
Getting settled in

Post by Rosel »

If you don't mind people getting close you your eyes, you could get them tinted perhaps?
Also eye shadow is generally ok to apply with a finger, try neutral shades like light brown or cream.
for lipstick use a fairly sheer lip gloss then it's harder to over so it.
Hope this is helpful
arthmelow
Regular Poster

Re: Make Up

Post by arthmelow »

Pooky wrote:I just wondered if anyone wears makeup?

It is something that never interested me as a child, and mum used to wear it very infrequently that I never learnt to put it on.

Sometimes I think maybe I should learn for the purposes of going out, job interviews , etc but I haven't the foggiest where to start and I fear I may poke my eyes out or something.

Or perhaps make up just isn't my thing.
I'm in a similiar position: I never had the inclination as a teenager so have no idea how to start now ( for job interviews etc ). People have told me to go to a make up counter in a department store and ask for help: I usually get sent home with a sample of tinted moisturiser that I have no idea how to apply it without irritating my skin and making it redder.

It took until a few weeks ago for someone to pluck up the courage and tell me that I'm shaving my legs incorrectly: I was using the razor dry then applying moisturiser AFTERWARDS...

You can pay for a teaching session but they cost a fortune and the companies that do this tend to be based in London and assume you have access to certain shops to buy makeup.

I know the process: moisturiser, foundation/powder ( if needed ), concealer, eye shadow, mascara, lips and either bronzer and blusher ( through lots of internet sites - however sadly mainly aimed at men trying to look like women for various reasons ), but what I do not know is the physical process involved: how do I move my hands to apply x?
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

Sometimes a natural look is better. Personally I prefer that to some women who cakes themselves in it.

I think that most guys don't really notice make up like women do, I can only see lip stick and eye shadow to be honest.

we guys don't wear make up.
Having said that I use moisturising cream on my face to stop dry skin and lip seal to try in vain to stop the skin going peeley.

Obviously, not being a woman, my knowledge of make up is somewhat limited, but what I think is the case, I may be corrected. HERE GOES concealer is applied to your finger and worked into your skin to hide belimishes like spots. Mascara goes on your eyelashes in a forward motion away from your eye and flicks up at the end so it covers your whole lashes I think blusher is put on with like a brush to give your cheeks a light rosy colour.

Could be totally wrong on all counts and I'm sure I'll be put right.
jme
Regular Poster

Post by jme »

Yep, know what you guys mean! And David, your make-up tips were very impressive \:D/

you can get someone to teach you... maybe at a counter or maybe you know a friend who is that way inclined and can help you out. Sometimes counters make it seem hard though!! just tell them you want an easy natural look.

I totally cheat with the physical process and there is no way I can apply stuff like you are meant too. For example, with mascara, I just hold the stick horizontal and blink my lashes into the brush!!! then i just rub my fingers around the top of my lashes and believe it or not it looks smoothe and fine!! (It probably sounds like it wouldnt but it works.).

You can get things like a foundation and moisturiser all in one. so lipstick, powder, mascara and maybe a bit of eye shadow will give a nice natural look.

If you want any other application cheating tips, just ask... ;)

jme (aka Tortoise)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

"Normal refers to someone who hasn’t had enough tests!"
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

Wow, I've impressed myself, no one to tell about it though, oh well.
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

You've told us and imrpessed us ;)

I can wear makeup these days btu it's taken me a few years of practice and I don't like the feel of it- its uncomfortable but I think it makes me look better.
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

The older I get the more important makeup has become, we do afterall live in a culture of youthful beauty is best. So arguably whilst you are young and beautiful let it show. It iss all about practise - as I've sid elsewhere I think it takes me about 10 years longer to learn things so while I had friends who couls complitently apply makeup at 14 I was still struggling at 24. I think by my 30th birthday I could confidently apply all my makeup , I now rearely mess up but it does take total concentration for about 10 mins - and that's tiring!

This is what I do in the order I do it in...

1 moistureiser - just smeer on
2 Foundation - tricky needs even blending titnted moistureiser good place to start just squirt a blob onto the end if your finger and then dab the blob onto your face to distribute it. Then gently rub the blobs togeher with little strokes to spread it out then sort of sweep fingers over face for blending, be very careful about hairline and jaw line blending.
3 Concealer - N0 7 at boots do a concealer pen with a brush an the end that you apply it with - nice and easy to use.
4 Eye liner - blimey practise!! steady hand I tend to use a series of short dashes that join up.
5.Eye shadow - buy a good brush and use pale shades would be my advise - I still cant do clever stuff with more than 1 colour but I'm working on it
6 Mascara - less is more!! I hold wand still and blink onto it the I come through with an old wand to sperate lashes
7 Blusher - see below
8 Lipstick - I don't bother it just comes off again anyway and I tend to be worn out

For techniques I have found that virgin vee parties or body shop parties have been axtreemly helpful. Also the Benefit makeup range is good. The stuff is a bit different so they have to teach you hoe to use is. For example my blusher is a liquid that comes in a pot like nail varnish and you blob it on your cheeks and then rub in with your finger - I never got the hand of brushes. I am guilty of buying magazines aimed at 12 year olds for the makeup tips - actually quite useful. Cosmo's tips are FAR too advanced ofr me!

Eye make up is tricky - lost count of times I've poked myself in the eye with the mascara wand - it really hurts! :*(

I think the earlier one starts to practise the sooner it will become do able. But DONT practise before a big night out , it will go wrong!

And the sense of achievement is tremendous! it's like hey I look like a grown up!!

Good luck
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

Eyeliner- I'm impressed- I always make a mes of that, especially with my left eye. I know the sight is worse in one eye but I can't remember which.

Cosmo- way too advanced for me too!

I don't like wearing much makeup- just a little bit of foundation, a bit of mascara and some lip cream, sometimes a hint of gold eyeshadow and bronze lipstick.
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Having returned from Rocky Horror last night I feel that I'm now able to comment on this thread (and I'd better get rid of the eyeliner before I go out to avoid being beaten up)

How on earth do you gals stand it?

I mean having Sally force me into a chair and apply all sorts of random chemicals to my face is not a nice experience. (Ok my costume got a standing ovation but that's not the point) The big one is the black stuff that gets stuck in a thin line around you eyes - how does anyone apply that without their eyes watering manically and ruining the effect? Also lipstick tastes foul.

I never really understood makeup, I tried to get my ex to stop wearing it cause I always felt she was prettier without but there seems to be something about it. It acts as a mask? Meh, I dunno.
towildhoney
Getting settled in

Post by towildhoney »

I agree with Ruth that the Benefit peple tend to be really helpful

I think the secret to success is picking products you can use and adding products around you basic routine

for example the rule is cleanse tone moisturise this is way to tough some nights for me so I use make up wipes there great alternatives.

I pick products that you can use with your fingers benefit and MAC tend to be good for this.

Eyeshadow I get cream ones presdoniatley these apply nicely
also I have a rimmel roller ball (like a deoderant) eye eshadow which is also easy to use l

lipstick/gloss stick or with sheer light colours till you get ussed to applying them so mistakes really are not noticable.

blusher less is more get the make up lady or a tasteful friend to pick on which compliments your skin tone either use fingers withe a cream or with powder a large easy to hold brush.

Masscra is a matter of practise selecting a brush you can hold is most important I find Dior Maximiser bottels the best shape. If you can stand abeing touched I can't get yor eyelashes tinted and permed its cheap easy and does not run

Eyeliner practice don't go crazy

FOUNDATION: LIQUID FOUNDATION IS WOMANS WORST ENEMY especialy the dyspraxic women. I use a pan stick from benefit I just dot a few bits round my face and rub it in with my fingers it the most usable product I've found if you want heavier coverage apply loose powder with a brush on top. Clinique did make one but they stped arghh dior also do a compact but it dosn't suite my skin but I could see it being dyspraxic friendly.

I would say its really worth having a few practice runs before you want to wear the make up

I thinnk the best way is to start of subtle and build up asyour confidence grows always using hands rather than brushes where you can

I go to the beautican to get my eyebrows done is anyone able to use a twevers here? as for painting nails aghhh
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

I get someoneelse to do my eyebrows too I can tweeze abit but it gives me a headache. and I have the very occasional pedicure (like 2 ever) for my fingers I have this smashing correcter pen from No7 that you just use like a rubber and it takes off all the wobbles
robyn

Post by robyn »

I am very very lucky. Iv allways adored make up, have very neat natural eyebrows, and my best pal is a counter manager for benifit and an expert hairdresser!
carrie
Getting settled in

Post by carrie »

I cant do it either!

eyeshadow_ use a small amount and a small brush, then it doesn't go all over.

foundaation_ dont bother use a little bit of solid facepowder and dust it over gently

Lipstick use a pale or clear one - it shows less if you smudges

eyeliner_ i dont know i hate it i always poke my eye- i still try though for some strange reason.

Mascara I use clear then if it gets on your skin it doesnt matter and you can concentrate n it not going in your eye.
NOTHING MAKES LIFE MORE INTERESTING THAN THE WONDERS OF DYSPRAXIA

(*)CARRIE(*)
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

I wear makeup sometimes. I'm trying to get into the habit of wearing it every other day, but I have trouble putting it on the right way sometimes. I'm fine with all the eye makeups, but it's the blush and stuff. I'm just having trouble with getting it to look really nice.
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07