Pilates or Yoga

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Catwoman42
Power poster

Pilates or Yoga

Post by Catwoman42 »

At the moment I'm receiving physio for a bad shoulder break. My physio asked if I could catch a ball one handed (with my bad arm) I laughed and told her I couldn't do it even before I broke my shoulder! When I sad I had dyspraxia she recommended pilates or yoga to strengthen my core muscles and improve my balance. So I thought I'd pass this on and see what everyone else thought.
BinaryBovine
Getting settled in

Re: Pilates or Yoga

Post by BinaryBovine »

I went to a class to strengthen my core muscles when I was younger due to my bad posture, I reccommend it too. Pilates also helped me a lot with my back so I think your physio is right :)
Socially awkward penguin
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Yup its extremly good , Yoga means union (its where we get the word yoke from ) . Pillates was invented by a cigar smoking German guy basically for other men and as a sort of modern twist (early 1900's i think ).

Either way get to a qualified class in UK for Yoga its the Wheel of Yoga , there are also many different types , find the one that suits you from the more spiritual and esoteric (Kundalini ) to the a more physical type (Hathar) .

MEditation and mantras are not a requirement nore is a belief in the Hindu gods/goddess :D
bookgirl
Getting settled in

Post by bookgirl »

I would love to go to yoga, but it tends to be bloomin expensive! I really enjoyed Pilates when I went to classes last Autumn but, as seems to happen, my motivation dips. Will be going back for sure; the exercises felt pretty gentle and were at a good pace - when attempting most sports I seem to forget to breathe! - but I left with jelly legs and felt a bit sweaty, in a good way!
Just need to find an exercise buddy now!
Zoiendy
New member - welcome them!

Post by Zoiendy »

Try to carry out some kind of relaxation exercise every day such as yoga. Try going to the fitness gym to improve your muscle strength and co-ordination.