Any tips for winding down after work?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Any tips for winding down after work?

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi all,

Not sure whether to put this here or under "Work" but here goes.
I started a new job a few weeks ago and I'm finding it very mentally taxing at the end of the day (especially if I've had a bad day like today) I find my head is racing with a thousand and one things at night and I then struggle to relax and sleep which makes the following day a struggle and so the cycle repeats.
I've done everything I can think of, cut out caffeine and alcohol during the week, nice early nights, warm milk, new pillows etc and while they have helped I still find myself struggling to sleep, and its affecting my work,any body got any bed time routines they find particularly helpful for de-stressing sleeping ?
Johanna
Getting settled in

Re: Any tips for winding down after work?

Post by Johanna »

Hey, I started a new job in June, and I was exhausted after work, every day for about two months. I slept okay, but I'd wake up after a couple of hours after dreaming about work.

I found I have to forcibly leave work at work. As soon as I get out of the building I take off my badge. Because we're not allowed our phones on at work, I also turn my phone on and read something or play a game for a bit on the commute home. When I get in, if I'm really stressed I'll have a long hot soak in the bath, and something nice to eat, followed by some PC-gaming or watching a film with my partner.

The other thing that helps is bitching about work - I call a friend or talk to my partner after work, just for like 20 minutes, to complain about what was terrible and laugh about what was good.

Aside from those things, my other top tips would be clean sheets, only using you bed for sleeping, a dark room that's not too hot or cool, and a good book or other entertainment for a little while.
Back again - going to try and remember to stick around this time!
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

I slept okay, but I'd wake up after a couple of hours after dreaming about work.
Yup, I do that a lot, I think it made worse by the fact that I'm still on three month probation (not cos I've messed up its just standard policy) so I'm even more stressed because until that's up they have the right to just get rid of me without warning so every evening I'm thinking: "did I do O.K today?"
I think I'm gonna have to find a hobby to do after work to take my mind of things.
PhilB
Getting settled in

Post by PhilB »

Captain_Ludd wrote:
I slept okay, but I'd wake up after a couple of hours after dreaming about work.
Yup, I do that a lot, I think it made worse by the fact that I'm still on three month probation (not cos I've messed up its just standard policy) so I'm even more stressed because until that's up they have the right to just get rid of me without warning so every evening I'm thinking: "did I do O.K today?"
I think I'm gonna have to find a hobby to do after work to take my mind of things.
I ride to and from work, and it's 17 miles each way so a decent slog. I generally find that clears my head fairly effectively - plus it leaves me physically tired, important when I spend most of the day sat still at the desk. So some form of hard excercise is my recommendation!
Johanna
Getting settled in

Post by Johanna »

Captain_Ludd wrote:

I'm still on probation too, but I don't like my job, so I don't really care if they lay me off >.>.

A hobby is a great idea - apart from anything else if you focus your energy into that instead it means you'll probably dream about it instead. Last week I had a dream where The Winchesters from Supernatural were battling my customers' problems.
Back again - going to try and remember to stick around this time!
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

Paul Mckenna does a couple of books one being I can make you sleep and the other is to Control Stress and he gives you tips and techniques on how to fall asleep and different strategies so if one does help the others might and the best of it is they all come with a free CD which can be quite hypnotic and relaxing .I listen to both every night. The control stress one I often fall asleep downstairs if I listen to this one. I use the other one for bed and often fall asleep before it finishes. Its quite clever the way he carries out two different conversations in different ears so you try to take in both with different music and tones in the background and can be quite relaxing,if all else fails it might be worth giving it a try.
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

I'm try to walk a lot more at the mo which does seem to be helping a bit also I've just got a new mattress for my bed which has made a difference.
I may have to get a copy of one of the books joy mentioned and give it a go it cant hurt.
djgard27
Getting settled in

Post by djgard27 »

Have to agree Johanna when im stressed nothing beats a good soak in a hot bath also walk quite a bit that seems to help me to wind down.