Other Illnesses

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Liz944
Super poster

Other Illnesses

Post by Liz944 »

I was wondering if anyone else suffers regularly (may be not the correct use of the word...) from other illnesses?

I am asking as I seem to pick up anything that is going around, as well as a couple of long term ongoing problems. I guess I am trying to assertain weither this is to do with dyspraxia or to do with being born 3 months early or a combination of both.

Just wondering if anyone else has a similiar sort of problem. If they are willing to discuss it...

Thanks
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

I used to as I was growing up Liz. Not really now tho. I don't kno if thats any help to u, but since I realised I was dyspraxic, I have always thought that maybe my dyspraxia was to blame. I was born a month late. I don't really have any health probs now, but I do have a few other things wrong with me aside from dyspraxia. Hope that helps!
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

When I was workingin optics I used to get everything going! I did come into close contact with lots of patients so I assumed it was that. When my little girls were tiny I also got everything going - every single bug or virus that anyone else got I did too.

Far the last two years since being a student I get much much less! I wonder if for me stress was playing a big part and now I'm happy and less stressed - I mean prolonged day afterday stress, the uni terms are only 10 weeks long after all. So now I get fewer illnesses - that's my theory for me, any use?

I'm aslo very sensitive to sugar and go all tired and cold if I have very much ( sometimes it's worth it though) and I'm intolerant to wheat
robyn

Post by robyn »

I often catch the usual bugs that go round. I had a very poor immune system as a teenager, had glandular fever followed
by post viral fatigue sysdrom that took a good couple of years to get over. i tend to get a sore throat if I am run down, and ear infections if I do far too much. I have a fairly sensitive stomach, but it gets set off by stress not foods. I have agonising pmt too, and Im anemic. god all that sound quite bad. None of it really bothers me that much any more, Im fairly healthy for me, but I do find that if I have too much emotional stuff going on my body breaks down too.
eoakley
Regular Poster

Post by eoakley »

its funney reading this post I have been bach with students for just over a week and have already got a cold and sore throat but think its to do with the constant changes in weather and maybe being a bit worried about beging my second year at uni as i am living in a house off campus with friends which is no longer very close to a and e so when i pour the kettle over me or burn myself on pasta or full down the stairs I have to hope that someone is sober enough to driv me to the hosie.
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Universities are kind of a breeding ground for diseases. You have a lot of people packed into a tiny area and constantly coming into contact with each other in different groupings.

Most lecturers I know tend to take steps to fortify their immune systems prior to the arrival of each new year of students and the diseases that follow (colloquially "freshers flu")

My immune system has an odd approach. So far as I can tell I catch every disease within a five mile radius, but tend to destroy the infection pretty quickly. I've contracted things that have had my housemates laid out for weeks and been over it in a few days. I've no idea why this should be. Probably just a bizaare coincidence
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

I suffer with dyscalculia, depression, epilepsy and asthma. I also have a lactose intolerance.

Kirsty
Last edited by gherkin001 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Post by sheppeyescapee »

Apart from Dyspraxia I suffer from Asthma and IBS. I was born a month early and have very low blood pressure. I hardly ever got sick as a child, but when I did it was awful. As a child I mainly suffered with ear infections, tonsilitis and chest infections. I did have a period of 3 weeks where I was ill from some dodgy eggs.

So far this year I have avoided getting anything, as soon as there is any hint of anyone around me getting ill I start taking high dose vitamin C and echinacea, this has worked for me so far. 8-[
conor
Getting settled in

Post by conor »

have dyspraxia,im sure ive other disorders too,overlapping...sick now,since dec,waiting for hospital appointment,and thats just to find out whats wrong with me....very long wait!!very annoying...when i was born i was born a few weeks premature,was in incubater for a few weeks after,sick until aged 3,was late to walk and talk...,deaf alot,had gromits put in a few times...........
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Post by sheppeyescapee »

Update:

Since posting on this thread I have a dx of dyspraxia and dyslexia from the EP. Had an appointment with the CMHT and now have a provisional dx of AS, Dyspraxia and SID.
Where did I put that?
Getting settled in

Post by Where did I put that? »

Born one week early with Jaundice.
I had post-surgery septicemia when I was about 10.
Have had the usual measles, mumps and chickenpox at some point.
I am sensitive to many medications (can't take metoclopramide, pseudoephedrine, citalopram, at least one antibiotic and not to good with whatever beta blocker the doc tried to give me once)
Constant tonsilitis as a child (they whipped those out when I was 15)
Had half my thyroid removed when I was 20 (due to a goitre)
Have had constant problems with stomach acid and finally got diagnosed with a hiatus hernia (ouch) last year.

...apart from all that I'm perfectly healthy :lol:
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream!"
Wildcat_madness
Getting settled in

Re: Other Illnesses

Post by Wildcat_madness »

Urgh...ok lemme go dig out my medical files lol.

I've been diagnosed with:
Non-verbal Learning Disorder
Aphasia
Dyspraxia
Spacial Perception Impairment
Asperger Syndrome (though this has since been scrapped after extensive tests)
Hand-Eye Co-ordination Impairment
Allergy to Pennicillin
Weakened Immune System due to Haemophillus Influenze type B infection

I think thats all of them. Mind you, I recently found out my mom has type 2 diabetes and she's insulin intollerant so the chances are I'll get that along the line. ](*,) :bike:
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wildflower.
To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
An eternity in an hour.

~William Blake
fordprefect
Getting settled in

Post by fordprefect »

Dyspraxia, depression and suffered from epilepsy in childhood but not had a seizure in years, thankfully, I think that's all, can't believe it's after 5pm and I still don't feel awake.

Baz.
Tongue tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit..
k9ruby
Getting settled in

Post by k9ruby »

Dspraxia (Severe), SID, tremor, asd, pdd-nos, hypertonia, intoeing, nut and enviro alllergies, squint.

I am surprisingly resistant to infections. I have never been seriously ill, rarely be sick, never been on antibiotics until acne.

I have had reactions to vaccines though.
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

every autumn and winter/half of spring i get regular colds, flu, chest infections and it always takes me months to get over the them I am also very sensitive to sunlight especially in the morning or lamps/lights in later evening. i only happens a few times a week though. I also have a persistant chronic pain in ribs that's been going for a few months and quite low appetite. I also find that because i am full 24/7 i can go on for hours with only eating lightly and when i do a eat larger meal it makes me feel queezy and i feel like i have eaten a sack of potatoes not fish n chips and i never feel light headed/fainting desperately hungary and strange feeling is that my sugar levels always remain the same.
Last edited by NobodyElseWill on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)