Can dyspraxic people drive manual cars

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mys
New member - welcome them!

Can dyspraxic people drive manual cars

Post by Mys »

Can dyspraxic people drive manual cars more importantly can you also hos long does it take to learn to drive a.manual as I REALLY want drive when older, also can dypraxic people drive lorrys or trucks
Cheers
Mike
Jim
Super poster

Re: Can dyspraxic people drive manual cars

Post by Jim »

The answer is yes.

I've only ever driven manual cars.

However it's very specific to the individual as we're all affected by our Dyspraxia in different ways and to different extents. Personally I passed my car driving tests first time, although I did a more lessons than I would have liked.

I'm not very keen on driving large vehicles due to the anxiety my spatial and spacial awareness causes me, but there is no real reason why I could not do so. It just calls for more concentration on my part.

The only way you can find your own aptitude for driving is by getting out there and having a few lessons. And don't worry having Dyspraxia does not mean someone will be a bad driver. There are plenty of bad drivers out there who do not have any disabilities to speak of. Driving is as much about attitude as it is about capability.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
shisu
Getting settled in

Post by shisu »

Yes - I am dyspraxic and have driven for 15 years now without any major issues, I passed on the 3rd attempt but I don't believe my failure's were down to the dyspraxia, more down to my nervous tension during the tests, I truly believe if I'd had a few drinks before hand I would have probably passed 1st time! (not that I condone drink driving of course :lol: ), I literally went to pieces mentally during the tests and couldn't think clearly, had hypnotherapy which may or may not have lead to me passing, as I also changed to a better driving instructor after the 2nd test.

I have even had a few flying lessons and been told I am a natural in handling the aircraft although I'm not sure if that was just the instructor being kind, sadly I don't have the confidence to take it any further due to the amount of different tasks you have to perform while flying, which as we all know is very taxing with dyspraxia.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I do kind of think that we tend to have to concentrate harder than many other people, which makes things a bit more tiring and stressful.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I passed my driving test, after 10 attempts in a manual car, without a full understanding of dyspraxia.

I am not a great driver, I do not like new roads, but dyspraxics can drive manual cars.
Lovethyheart

Post by Lovethyheart »

It's interesting you all say this.
I've been driving for 3 and a half years years, and have had one non-fault accident recently, but otherwise have never had a problem. Manual is the only way really, I think it helps to stay focused on driving. You're constantly doing something with your entire body it feels like.
I'm about to get a new car, and of course, it's a manual, to follow my other two manual cars! My previous two cars have been small ones - especially my VW Lupo. I plan to get another smaller car as well, and having read the comments, I think it's a wise thing for Dyspraxic. It is daunting sometimes driving your car, struggling to understand if you really will fit in the gap you have just seen other cars drive down! Sometimes I feel like I'm just winging it. My bay parking is atrocious, and I NEVER get it in first time. Parallel parking though I smash. It's interesting.
I also loathe and detest roads I've never been on before. I didn't realise that could be associated with my dyspraxia, but I suppose it may well be. I find it stressful and scary, especially if I'm trying to navigate my way somewhere I've never been, and keep focusing on my space and distance and all the other things I struggle with because of my dyspraxia.
Nevertheless, driving is an absolute necessity for me, and I love love love driving! I passed first time as well - but with ten minors! haha :)
TCE
Getting settled in

Post by TCE »

Yes, I passed first time when I was 17 in March 2006. And I was only driving a manual car. It took me longer to pick up then other people though, I was a terrible driver and I shouldn't have passed lol. But I was lucky, and I've never been in an accident either. I consider myself a great driver now. I drive a Honda Civic Type R, very quick cars.
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

I passed first time last February after 17 months of lessons (11 in a car park!), leant in a manual. I did write in another post the things I found helpful when learning, here's a link http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... =13&t=3048
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!
WTCCFan
Regular Poster

Post by WTCCFan »

I have been driving for 3 years and I found I drive as well as someone who doesn't have Dyspraxia.

I did take lessons in the mid 90's I think it was with an Independent instructor but it fizzled out. In August 2009 I tried again and went with BSM and the first lesson I felt a bit bemused by the procedure for controlling a car. How you control the pedals and the gears. I asked to try an automatic but felt I was too easy. So I persevered with the manual and quickly found I was getting the hang of it. So much so one of the things my instructor praised me most on was my clutch control. By the very next year I was the owner of a pass certificate and full UK license. Even allowing for a few months out for a broken wrist.

There is I think something about driving that makes it easy for a dyspraxic to do. I think dyspraxic's are wired for instructions that require little procedures to perform. The less tasks required the better. You get in. Start it up. Clutch down and select 1st gear. Get a small amount of rev and the 'bite'. Down with the brake lever and you are away. To slow it down use the brake. To speed it up use the 'accelerator'. And in the case of the former you can change down by pressing the clutch and selecting a low gear and in the case of the latter change up by pressing the clutch down and selecting a higher gear.

For example when you want to approach a set of lights I was told to slow down, select 2nd gear and press the brake to stop. When turning into a road I was told to indicate, slow down in plenty time by using the brake, select 2nd, lift off the clutch and slow down a little more to about 10mph (I think) and take the turn. But of course that was the method told by my instructor. Everyone will have their own technique.

Yeah, driving seems easy once you master it.
Cruis02

Post by Cruis02 »

I know it’s an old thread, however felt like commenting. In my opinion, it really depends on that person. I have a friend of mines who works for a [illegal url removed] and his dad has been driving for many years now without any issues, however, my uncle met with a tragic accident and now everyone desists him from driving.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Cruis02 wrote:I know it’s an old thread, however felt like commenting. In my opinion, it really depends on that person. I have a friend of mines who works for a [Illegal url removed] and his dad has been driving for many years now without any issues, however, my uncle met with a tragic accident and now everyone desists him from driving.
Your details will be passed to relevant authorities for contravening our forum rule on posting advertising URLs.

You are also banned permanently from this site
Your English is not good and your dead uncle if he ever existed will hardly be capable of driving once dead!
Last edited by Tom fod on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of url
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Xam
Getting settled in

Post by Xam »

I've managed to have my driving licence for manuals, but it wasn't easy, took me almost 2 years (well, I couldn't always be in my hometown, so there's that). I'm not the best driver, and I can be pretty awkward, but hey, I can do it.

My mum on the other hand, whom I strongly suspect of dyspraxia (and therefore, whom I strongly suspect to have "passed" on me that thing), never managed to drive manuals, and oh boy she really tried to. She's been driving automatic cars for over 20 years now and is doing good, but automatic cars are rarer than manuals so it's annoying sometimes.

Good luck fellas.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

While I think the answer is yes, at least for me anyway, the question is more about where they can drive rather than whether or not they can. I was able to drive in the small town I grew up in, it was quite different once I moved to a large city. Fortunately, I live in a city with a good public transit system.
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

I certainly have been able to, but it's a different story for many dyspraxic people.

Like all "can dyspraxic people do?" questions, the answer to this one depends on the severity of the individual's dyspraxic condition and the particular symptoms that (s)he has.
Davie232
Getting settled in

Post by Davie232 »

I can drive manual cars. I passed my driving test 7 years ago and I haven't had a problem yet.
Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times......suppose one day, it lands on its edge. (Said by Kain in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2)