Table manners / food issues

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Teamee
Getting settled in

Table manners / food issues

Post by Teamee »

Hello everyone! I was wondering if any other people with dyspraxia have found any coping mechanisms / hints / tips for dining which they could share please? I've always struggled with eating, I was a really messy eater as a child and even now I have to really slow down and *think* about how I'm eating, which is exhausting and takes a lot of the fun out of food. And I *always* end up with food stains :(
minniemoo
Power poster

Re: Table manners / food issues

Post by minniemoo »

Don't worry about what people think! Just enjoy your food - I know that is easier said than done! :)

I love eating the middle eastern way where you just use your hands to eat everything - it is fun and although other people initially tend not to like it, they soon lighten up! :) especially if the food is delicious. It is also a leveller - give everyone wraps filled with stuff to eat and EVERYONE will make a mess! you might even find that you are the least messy! :D
Square12
Getting settled in

Post by Square12 »

I have developed an unusual habit of eating mostly one handed, I tend to only use a fork and my right hand, although this is more due to the fact that I often have a book in my left hand. Only really use two hands when need to cut something like meat, otherwise cutting veg etc with the edge of the fork.
Teamee
Getting settled in

Post by Teamee »

wow, thanks for that! Will certainly give it a try :)
Speedless
New member - welcome them!

Post by Speedless »

I have a huge problem with eating meals amongst other people. If its my family I won't give a care in the world, but I was staying in Newcastle with a friend who doesn't know I'm dyspraxic and my worst fears were confirmed, were having spag bol for tea #-o biggest nightmare ever! Him and his girlfriend flew through their meal, I don't know whether I was so worried about myself eating, but they just ate at the quickest and neatest I've ever seen! I took about 5 bites until I just said I weren't that hungry. I felt really bad because it was a nicely cooked home meal, but I was just so paranoid of myself that I couldn't enjoy it at all. :(

It's small but stupid stuff that really makes you feel a bit down sometimes!
syeda
Getting settled in

Post by syeda »

hi
i just recently got diagnosed as dyspraxic, i have always been laughed at for the way i eat and i never thought this could be because of an actually difficulty. i am looking for ways to cope with as well as i always manage to have food all over my face and my clothes and not to mention the table. this is especially horrible when am out with friends on a meal i have like 10 pieces of tissues around me covered with food :-&
Teamee
Getting settled in

Post by Teamee »

Speedless - I get that a lot, not being able to enjoy food cos of being paranoid! I think it's really interesting that I'm not alone instressing about food. Syeda - that's really interesting about the tissues, amongst my circle of friends i'm famous for the amount of serviettes i get through! I think that paradoxically it helps if you relax. Certainly I think that some foods are easier that others, spag bol being one of the worst! Also crepes are a nightmare..! I think for me being left handed makes it even worse!
mummytoowen

Post by mummytoowen »

i also have issues with eating food in front of people, when i started my job i refused to eat in the canteen with everyone at luch, i went and sat in another room, i think it stems from the fact that an ex boyfriend of mine called me a pig once and asked why i was having a dessert n stuff. im so scared someone will call me a pig again or something. i do eat in canteen now. but i just eat very slowly, and get very paranoid that im being watched. even when i go out with friends im very slow and get anxious. with family tho im fine. does any one have any suggestions how to make things better? :(
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

I cannot eat with my mouth closed as it hurts my jaw (its deformed due to having too much cartlige) so I occasionally get people commenting on it. My usual response is to carry on while looking directly at them as if to say you eat your way I will eat my way and they usually look away :lol:
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
StephyLou

Post by StephyLou »

I watch myself when i'm out in a restaurant but just let loose at home. I tend to pick foods I can eat with my hands or I eat with just a fork. sod it no one can see you.

When I was little other mums in the playground would joke they'd know what their kids had for lunch cause it would be down my top.
Roxy86
Regular Poster

Post by Roxy86 »

How about spreading, like, butter etc. with a knife... Anyone else have issues there too?? :S

I make such a mess out of an otherwise 'simple' task and usually end up using WAY to my spread/jam or whatever and it's a miracle if that even makes it ONTO the bread/toast!! :blush:
-Hakuna Matata-
Lucky Star
Getting settled in

Post by Lucky Star »

I'm considered to have terrible table manners as I always have difficulty using cutlery which causes me to make a bit of a mess while eating. While eating out I tend to completely unfold my napkin, and place it under my plate. So, if I splatter food by accident, it will go on the napkin and will seem a little more discreet. At home I let the mess just go all over the table because when I've finished my meal I can just clean it up afterwards. I also continually switch hands with which hand I hold the knife and fork in. But that might be because I don't have a dominant hand, since I'm capable of writing with both.

I also use too much butter when I'm spreading it on my toast. But I like buttery toast, so it doesn't phase me. Though getting butter on my hands by accident makes holding the knife a challenge.
'Some people put me down,
Some people kick me around,
But believe me when I tell you
I'll be the one to rule this town.' - I'll Fly Higher by AcoustiMandoBrony
DanAu96
Getting settled in

Post by DanAu96 »

I'm ok with eating out in general however i do make a big mess and get food round my mouth. i struggle with restaurants that use chopsticks because i cannot use them, lots of people laugh at me when i ask for a knife and fork. i hate eating with my hands because i hate the feel of dirt on my hands. I hate walking and eating (like hotdogs) because i make a mess of it.

also I cannot eat foods with soft or smooth textures.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I tend to have a death grip on burgers and the like and they seem to fall apart in my hands, not to mention the mess I can make. I don't do chopsticks either. Personally I would say I eat too fast and find trying to slow down helps a bit.

An intense dislike of certain textures is not uncommon.

If you want to make changes to a post to add something you forgot, you have the power to edit your own posts. When you're logged in just click on the edit option/pen icon. Hope you don't mind my having done it for you in this instance.
Last edited by Tom fod on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
george44

Post by george44 »

DanAu96 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:30 pm I'm ok with eating out in general however i do make a big mess and get food round my mouth. i struggle with Japanese restaurants or any sushi place that use chopsticks because i cannot use them, lots of people laugh at me when i ask for a knife and fork. My niece even bought me this cool pair of Star wars chopsticks from [Illegal URL removed and poster and site details referred to FACT] so I can practice. i hate eating with my hands because i hate the feel of dirt on my hands. I hate walking and eating (like hotdogs) because i make a mess of it.

also I cannot eat foods with soft or smooth textures.

I'm sorry to hear that! Eating out can be a stressful experience if you feel like you don't fit in with the way everyone else is eating. Have you ever considered asking the restaurant if they can provide you with a knife and fork if they don't usually serve them? Also, maybe ask the waiter if they can recommend something that is easier for you to eat with your hands, like a burger or sandwich. Don't be too hard on yourself - everyone has different eating preferences and it's important to respect that.

George you've been banned for contravening our strict No Advertising with preapproval rule. Trying to divert who was responsible by inserting the illegal link within a quoted post is equally wrong