Don`t know what to do work wise

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rmel82
Getting settled in

Don`t know what to do work wise

Post by rmel82 »

Before I asked the question thought I`d give a bit of background I have a BSc(Hons) and a masters in a life sciences area. For my BSc(Hons) I got a 2.1 and for my masters dissertation I got a distinction. However my dyspraxia means that my lab skills aren`t good. I also have additional learning difficulties which make it hard for me to do maths and mean that my grammar isn't as good as it could be. Because of problems with maths and lab skills I feel that I might not be good enough to go into research. With my grammar problems I feel I might not be good enough to go in science journalism. I really enjoyed studying at uni and because I got good grades I am sure I must be capable of doing something work wise. Does anyone have any thoughts work wise? Does anyone know any organisations that looks at likes and aptitudes of disabled people and helps them find work?
rmel82
Getting settled in

Re: Don`t know what to do work wise

Post by rmel82 »

Surely someone knows some agency that can look at my skills profile (I had an assessment by an educational psychologist) and what my likes are and suggest jobs. I don't care what it costs it will be worth it. Am asking on here because I`ve searched round and cannot find anything but I know that an organisation like this must exist.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I do not know of anything, so a search by me is unlikely to uncover anything that you hadn't.

The best thing really to do is visit your local recruitment agencies and directly ask them what services they provide. It's not for us here to tell you what you can or can't do work wise as we don't know, we all have different strengths and weaknesses.

Although you state an interest in Science and have good degrees, so maybe some role at a university? Check out jobs.ac.uk
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
PhilB
Getting settled in

Post by PhilB »

rmel82,

The words "This man needs a copy of 'Eats, shoots & Leaves'" are written in red ink on the front cover of the thesis I submitted for my PhD. Regardless of this I was still awarded my PhD, and I have twice been asked to take research jobs (offers rejected by me as I'm happy where I am). The fact that bad grammar was the only thing they found to highlight in my submission is actually an excellent result! So don't let bad grammar make you think you aren't good enough for research - a 2.1 and distinction suggests anything but.

There are a couple of things you need to remember about research (especially in fields like sciences and engineering). First, you will be one of relatively few native English speakers, for many (if not most) researchers and academics English is a second language - so people reviewing journals and submissions are used to poor translations and poor grammar. Secondly us scientists and engineers are a pretty pragmatic bunch, and are more interested in the quality of research than the quality of grammar. And given the importance of publication record in research, if you do good research work there will be plenty of people willing to help with the writing if it means getting their name on another publication.

Take a look at the opportunities that are out there, but there should be scope for projects that are more on the conceptual side than mathematical. Even if you do struggle with that it hasn't stopped you so far and shouldn't stop you going further.

All the best,
Phil
Wayward
Getting settled in

Post by Wayward »

I think Phil's post hits the nail on the head, but if you're still looking for an organisation to help you find the right job, then there's one called Pluss - the jobcentre referred me to them and they've been quite good, they also offer help with finding suitable work adjustments for people with disabilities. Check out the website maybe and see if they have a local branch for you.

http://www.pluss.org.uk/
rmel82
Getting settled in

Post by rmel82 »

Thanks. I will check out pluss. As for research I think I might give up nearly 7 years and two disastrous placements (one department nearly closed down and the other had 50% redundancies) have occurred since graduation from my masters. I am also looking at being self employed it might be best as there are no employers who have to take into account my disability. The last internship I did they nodded when I talked about adjustments in the discussion beforehand then when I started didn't make any adjustments. They didn't give me proper set tasks then blamed me for not coping.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

That would qualify as unlawful discrimination.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
rmel82
Getting settled in

Post by rmel82 »

It happened in 2009/2010 too late to do anything about it now. At the time I blamed myself entirely. I now only partly blame myself because I realise that they should have accepted my adjustments. Out of interest how many other people on this forum have found that employers have not made adjustments for them at work when they've asked for them?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

rmel82 wrote:It happened in 2009/2010 too late to do anything about it now. At the time I blamed myself entirely. I now only partly blame myself because I realise that they should have accepted my adjustments. Out of interest how many other people on this forum have found that employers have not made adjustments for them at work when they've asked for them?

Interesting question

I think it sadly all to often falls to us to try to convince an employer that adjustments are reasonable and because this is not an easy thing we (and they) lose out.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)