Testing for other autistic traits

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HidTooLong
New member - welcome them!

Testing for other autistic traits

Post by HidTooLong »

Hello all. I'm new to the forum (see my intro piece in the introductions bit) and one of my biggest issues is that I've run away from full autism testing and getting any assistance with some of the things to do with dyspraxia that are causing me major issues.

I am really, really scared of testing or getting help. I've avoided it for 10 years. I'm scared of it for so many reasons. I'm scared because I don't want someone to say "you're not dyspraxic at all, your social issues are because you're just not a nice person" or some other trait. I'm scare because I don't want to be on medication forever. And I'm scared because there are parts of my dyspraxic "traits" that I find useful and I don't want to lose them. I don't know how any help would work, what they would do and what they would change about me.

All of that said, I do want to sort some of the negative things as I'm really starting to isolate myself, I'm losing a lot of friends and family who I can turn to because of my social skills and behaviours.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

I've heard of the Dyscovery Centre, in Newport (I'm in Bristol so is nearby) that I can get the assistance, testing and support that I would need. Does anyone have any experiences of them? What are they like?

Sorry for the long post. And reading it back feels like reading the ramblings of a cray person, so sorry about that too.
Shadwell

Re: Testing for other autistic traits

Post by Shadwell »

hi hidtoolong, as for Dyscovery Centre, then I was thinking about it for testing myself, but I think it was the price that kind of put me off, as I don't work. it was around the time of: (do I/don't I) have Dyspraxia? so about 6-7 years ago, but seen the medical report in my medical files.

so you need to check if you can get it paid for. if not then I think it was cheaper than the Dore programme, but not by too much if memory serves me right. so you need to check out the cost first. either that or I am thinking about a simular place. sorry I can't help about your question if someone has been.

but it is totally up to you at the end of the day, if you can get the testing done for free then I would reccomend it, but if the money was the issue, then just be happy with whatever diagnosis you got so far, there are web-sites for self testing that ask you so many question and by the answers they give it gives you a fair idea, but like anything it isn't an official diagnosis so you can't actually claim you got such, and such. whereas with the official diagnosis then you know for definate, and can use it to your advantage.
HidTooLong

Post by HidTooLong »

Thanks Shadwell. I've done an "official" test after referral from my GP to an Occupational Therapist. She wasnt a lot of use, admitted she knew very little about dyspraxia and although she said I do habe it, an official copy if my report was never filed anywhere. Even with her own office. The cost isn't really an issue. My main concerns are split between a more knowledgable person saying that I'm not dyspraxic, I'm just mean and stupid and the idea of getting help has never been easy for me and I don't really know how to take that help. As well as the other points above.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I am probably the same, as when someone asks me what kind of help I want from them, I am kind of sceptical, and also don't think they can help that much, as my hand-eye co-ordination is so bad, then most people think I am making it up. my father is a good one for that. ie like when little I could never use an escalator by myself, and always had to be put onto the steps. things like dressing so shirt buttons, so always got annoyed by my mother always undo-ing every last button before putting my shirts in the wash.

my mother would eventually help, but it was only when my father was out, or when my father was out of sight, still the same kind of thing.

I would suggest phoning the Uni, and speaking to them, as they would have a better idea of what they could suggest they would help with, and basically what the assessment is like.
HidTooLong

Post by HidTooLong »

Thanks for your support Shadwell.

Well, this evening I found (mostly by accident) my forms that I have already filled out from the Dyscovery centre. They are now in an envelope and waiting to go back to them. It's only taken about 17-18 months to get this far...

Wish me luck for them to maybe make it to the post box tomorrow morning...
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

well good luck, and let us know how it goes. be interesting, as loads have asked over the passed 5 years about assesments with Dore etc. and I was looking at Dore one time, but not willing to pay that kind of money, even without the expense of travelling.
HidTooLong

Post by HidTooLong »

So my paperwork made it to the post box... Now I'm really scared.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

there is nothing to be scared about, as far as I am aware they only use straight jacket is worst case scenario's now!! :lol:

but you done the right thing, maybe you will get some good answers, rather than panicing about it.
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

Hi HidTooLong

Good to hear from you on the forum, and hope you get on OK with everything. It is a bit scary isn't it? I'm in my 40s, and had never heard of dyspraxia until a few months ago (or only vaguely) but the more I've found out, the more I'm convinced it's me. It is difficult, because not so much is known about it as about dyslexia, and I'm having difficulty getting to see someone who can give me a definite answer. Although perhaps there aren't always definite answers, it's a bit of grey area! But I've had a lot of help from the Dyspraxia Foundation's local branch and my doctor and neurologist were supportive when I saw them. I don't have a diagnosis as such, but I still think the help I get from the Foundation and books is really useful.

I do know the feeling about what you said about not getting a diagnosis - part of me thinks, if I'm not dyspraxic where does that leave me? Am I just lazy and not trying hard enough? But the brain is very complex - as my chiropractor said, it's only in the last 20 years or so that they've been able to start mapping the brain.

I also think that there are good things about being dyspraxic, and i don't want to lose them or be told that I'm odd for having them. Have you read "Caged in Chaos" by Victoria Biggs - it's brilliant. Also "Born on a Blue Day" by Daniel Tammet. He's got Asperger's and is brilliant with numbers, his memory is amazing, and both those writers make me feel more positive because they show the good side of these things. Also it makes you a more understanding person and able to help and accept others.

I was also watching a programme the other night about Shane Lynch from Boyzone who went to get tested for dyslexia. He was panicking before going in and saying something like "If I don't have dyspraxia, does that mean I@m lazy and stupid?" He did get a diagnosis of dyslexia though.

I'm starting to realise that perhaps it's not so important as I thought to get diagnosed. After all, we do all have our own quirks and differences. But on the other hand, I feel sometimes that people don't believe I have these difficulties, and just think it's lack of confidence.

Sorry for rambling on, I hope this is helpful, and good luck. There are a lot of people with dyspraxia, dyslexia, autism etc, some diagnosed and some not, and I think we all have something to contribute. Let us know how you get on.
Nicky