Guess work cooking

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

emma31
New member - welcome them!

Guess work cooking

Post by emma31 »

when cooking things like cakes etc, i find it extremely hard to work out measurements, its numbers and I end up buying the packet ones. I find following instructions a nightmare, my brain ends up in bits. but having said that i do enjoy making up things and when it goes well i can relax and switch off.
Jim
Super poster

Re: Guess work cooking

Post by Jim »

I haven't done any cake baking for many a year... But I do prefer making it up as I go along and do a lot of random cooking "a little bit of this, some of that & and a massive slush of this..."
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

I reguarly bake and never have to guess unless it comes to cocoa powder, icing and food colouring.... not had a single complaint so far though and my cakes are usually gone within the day

:banana: :evilb: :banana:
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

I always guess when I have to use spoons and if I'm nearly there, since the fine adjustments usually just end up in a huge mess! But I love cooking, I'm surprisingly good, to my family's delight
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

A lot off cooking (apart from backing) is guess work but if you havent done much cooking before then its a idea to follow the recepies and the ingredents and then from this you can get a idea of what works and dosent and roughly how much of each item to use etc.

A good way to work out mesurments is to use the cup methord (used in USA recipes and cooking) - all you need is the set cup mesures and also the set spoon mesures and use thies to mesure out dry or liquid ingredents.
Another thing that could help is a decent scale and jugs that the mesurments can be seen clearly
The real Mr Potato Head