Hair care

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

underlinehere
New member - welcome them!

Re: Hair care

Post by underlinehere »

I straighten my hair twice a day, the unfortunate side effect of this is that my ears are COVERED in burns from them!!

I've read about "chemical straightening" though and even though it costs quite a lot it might be a worthwhile investment for both me and you !!
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

But i do find my hair is a lot more glossy during the winter months but during the summer i have to condition it regulary as it gets very dry.
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
bumbleguff

Post by bumbleguff »

i think one of my worst episode with hair was when i had to do my daughters hair for school. She had the most beautiful long hair , which when she was younger never had a straight parting in it as i just couldnt manage it . i didnt know that i had dyspraxia then, i just thought that i was an idiot for not being able to do the fancy hairstyles the other mothers could. The low point came for me (and i am sure my daughter) when a nice mother made a loud comment on how my daughters hair was never tidy............after that she wore her hair down or scraped in a pony tailuntil she was old enough to do her own.
As for my own hair i dont style it and just leave it natural most of the time.......The hair dresser is wonderful in the fact she understands my problem and has it cut now in a mangable style that is ok to just leave it.
jen d
Getting settled in

Post by jen d »

I can never blow dry my hair as well as hairdressers and it often looks messy even though its short at the moment (when i tried to grow it it was even worse) However, my worst problem is with my daughters hair. I am white and she is of mixed race with afro hair and I always struggled to take care of it but even doing something fairly simple like doing a parting took ages and was never correct. Fortunately she is now 13 and can do quite a bit herself and in between goes to the hair dressers for more complicated styles. It was very difficult when she was young because people thought I didnt care for her, especially as i had other problems such as noticing creases ironing etc, and we were referred to social services anonymously. Fortunately they realised I was doing my best but it was very embarassing.
vancouvermum

Post by vancouvermum »

I am so glad you started this thread. I can't blow out my hair to save my life - although I love the look of it!
Instead, I use a hairstyling dryer like this http://www.conair.com/hot-air-curling-i ... 73_76.html because it's easy for me to use and comes close to providing the style I like.
Also, Frederic Fekkai iron less straightening balm works wonders. Good luck!
GerardSmith

Post by GerardSmith »

Avoid using hair styling products with alcohol which dries out hair.
Avoid puting hair styling products directly on your scalp; if you put it on your scalp you'll clog the pores on your head.
Hot air can be damaging to your hair so when using a hair dryer use the cool setting.
meow
Regular Poster

Post by meow »

I can't even brush my own hair. My hair always looks messy and I always have knots in it. I wish I could brush it... I am not very good at washing my hair and I never blow dry my hair. I am okay with using straighteners though but do not straighten my hair very often.
lunalovegood
Getting settled in

Post by lunalovegood »

Tell me about it. I've kept the same hair style--long and layered with blunt cut bangs--for over a year because it's low maintenance and I dread having to learn a new one. At least I am able to use a straightener pretty well, but only after months of practice.

If you have trouble watching your stylist demonstrate how to style your hair, you could go on youtube or visit ehow.com. They have tutorials for lots of different hairstyles. For me, learning the techniques from a video is so much easier. If you don't understand something, you can just rewind and re-watch the confusing part until you get it.
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

I am currently letting my hair grow long as I think that it suits me better as for straightning hair I always miss parts so my sister straightens it if we go out. I dont have any problems brushing, washing and putting it in a pony tail though I have not tried plaiting it as yet as it is not quite long enough (so far it is reaching my upper back just below my shoulders) I only tend to brush it after my bath in the evenings at the moment
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
toxic_ange
Getting settled in

Post by toxic_ange »

I tried to have nice long hair for year, I gave up, I think my hair is a fringe away from making me be classed as a skin head. I basically shaved all my hair off except for the fringe bit, more out of not wanting to look too much like my dad, but hey low maintenance hair in a flash!
"we are all the same under the skin, and I for one would skin the world to prove it" - Ayn Rand
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

true that shorter hair is easier to maintain but at least if I grew my hair long then it will help me become more experienced with managing it :lol:
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I have stupid hair. There are several reasons for this.

Firstly I inherited unruly hair from my father who as far as I know has no neurological disorders at all whatsoever. But he also has stupid hair which rebels against any combing, styling or tidying of any-kind. His wife once gave up trying to make him presentable in disgust.

So I have his rebellious hair coupled with a complete inability to style it. I don't think I've attempted to use a comb for well over a decade, although I'll usually attempt to use my fingers to fluff it up and tidy-ish it up after towel drying it having got out of the shower. I'll then avoid all mirrors and refections for the rest of the day.

The saving grace is that I'm gradually going bald with the distinctive male m pattern slowly but surely capturing it's enemies lines.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
GooseDucky

Post by GooseDucky »

Hi all, I have found for myself a tangle teaser brush works wonder also after 2 years of practice I can know plait my hair in 2 side plaits, I would love to do more but just find it so difficult any tips are welcome xxx
Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Post by Jenny3142 »

I leave my hair well alone. If I don´t do anything to it, then it won´t do anything to me :D
I stopped washing it years ago and after about 6 weeks it just went - normal.
I can´t style it, I can´t cut it, I brush it first thing so that the tangles are out and that´s all I (can) do! Now that it is getting longer I put a scrunchy in to keep it out of my face :)
lizzie1991
Getting settled in

Post by lizzie1991 »

Hi I know this post is from a while ago but I'd like to add to it and reply anyway. Reading through posts, I also have weak wrists, my body strength in my arms themselves is absolutely fine. The best way I can discribe it is the wrist is getting sore and loose if I am holding an object with one of my wrists with the object below hand level. Such as holding a bin bag. This makes my arms feel tired and uncomfortable and I try and run along to dump the bag onto the floor (in the case of heavy shopping bags) as soon as possible.

Onto hear care I struggle I cannot platt the back of my hair by myself, I can only brush my hair and style it as neat as I can on the left side.