BBC Four - Open University series - Growing Children

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jim
Super poster

BBC Four - Open University series - Growing Children

Post by Jim »

Did anyone see the recent series of documentaries "Growing Chikdren" which coverd Autism, Aspergers, OCD and Dyslexia?

It was quite good, but unfortunately they missed out Dyspraxia.
Last edited by Jim on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Tim G
Super poster

Re: BBC Four - Open University series - Growing Children

Post by Tim G »

I am not surprised they mised out on dyspraxicia, unforantly people seam to think that the ND issues are only dyslexicia, ADHD, autisum and aspergic (yes in that order)

It goes back to the big issue of not having a awareness of dyspraxicia - people dont know what it is, or even if it exists at all and just deny it :Eek:
The real Mr Potato Head
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

They should have done a dyspraxia one because it is just as much a learning disability as the others.
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Bah!!!
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
blocparty88
Getting settled in

Post by blocparty88 »

I live in Belgium, and a couple of months ago there was a student with dyslexia who appeared in a late night show on national television. He talked about his difficulties and the extra help he got in school. The next day I sent an e-mail to the producers of the show in which I explained that there also existed something like dyspraxia, and I told them about all the symptoms, and also about the fact that it is hardly known while other learning disorders like ADHD en dyslexia get a lot more coverage in the media. They said they would take my information into account, and that they would pass it to the producers of another show which would air some time later, and which would talk about mental disorders but also about learning and autistic spectrum disorders. Unfortunately, when that show was aired, they (again) only talked about dyslexia, autism and ADHD, so nothing about dyspraxia :@ So I was quite annoyed to say the least...