Help for dispraxia

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BearLady
New member - welcome them!

Help for dispraxia

Post by BearLady »

Hello,

I'm a 53 year old woman and I've always stuggled with organisation, spelling, short term memory and speed of processing informaion, espeically if it's multi-source. My sense of direction is diabolical and leaning to drive took my 20 years (well, a lot of gaps in between!) I've done OK, though sheer persistance and hard work, ending up with an MSc and a good career. However, it has been anything but easy. Personal relationships have always been strong, and I don't believe I have coordination difficulty.

My 10 year old nephew has recently been diagnosed with dispraxia, and I wonder if I also have this condition? My brother, who has spent time with the pshycologist who diagnosed his son's condition has suggested this to me and reading through the information, I can see he may have a point.

To be honest, I'm not sure the benefits of knowing at this stage (other than the aha moment), or is there a process than can help with daily life re: organisation, memory etc, as I can't beleive these become easier with age!

Any advice would be hugely appreciated and thank you in advance.
joy
Power poster

Re: Help for dispraxia

Post by joy »

Hi bear lady you may well have dyspraxia getting a diagnosis can be difficult once you have left school,as I can see by your age dyspraxia didn't exsist when we were younger and there ar many adults out there who have never been diagnosed . Over the years we all have different coping strategies some finding it more difficult
than others.Dyspraxia is a complex condition and affecting people to a more or lesser degree so you don't have to have all of the difficulties to have dyspraxia.It often does run in families