Hello

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

welshtyke
Getting settled in

Hello

Post by welshtyke »

I am 55 year old male and have just done a short University course through work and although I have passed it has once again brought things into focus that I may have some learning difficulties. Intially I thought I could be dyslexic so I have a screening with Dyslexia Action at the beginning of September. However, where the conditions of dyslexia & dyspraxia overlap I can identify with the symptoms. Nevertheless outside the common ground of both conditions I veer more to the unique conditions of dyspraxia rather than dyslexia.

Hence I think I may have mild dyspraxia. I was always pants at PE at school, namely football and sports that require hand eye cordination. my typing is slow due to dexterity, corrections and slow reading. I can not keep musical ryhthm, I can catch and I can throw a tennis ball but it is poor, my working area is untidy, my writing poor and if I have to copy notes in a class situation I am always the last writing and it usually desends into a scrawl. etc.

When you do the action songs like head and shoulders, knees and toes, Always get totally mixed up.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello

Post by Tom fod »

Sounds familiar but don't be defined by a label. Welcome to the group and hope you find info support and friends

Looking at your username, where you living in Wales and where are you from in Yorks?

Tom
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
welshtyke
Getting settled in

Post by welshtyke »

Not bad!! Born and bred in Sheffield and lived in South Wales for the past 20 years or so
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Thanks I have an enquiring mind and I'm good at analysing written stuff. I'm on English side of border in Forest of Dean. My father's originally from Hull so I know a Tyke is someone from Yorkshire.

How do you feel about this new found dyspraxic aspect to yourself? I find it doesn't change a lot for me except having a reason for when I'm being a bit rubbish. I tend to set my standards high so when they don't always work out I tend to feel doubly bad which I admit is a rubbish way to be. On a more positive level I'm very much seen as a helpful hardworking person who cares about others.

Best regards

Tom
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
welshtyke
Getting settled in

Post by welshtyke »

Hi Tom

It answers a lot of questions I have always seen myself as a bit slow, but your mind is racing. Like years ago when one went swimming I never had problems dressing but I was always one of the last out of the changing room. I can present something formally quite well (something rehearsed), but its when you have to field questions and explain matters then my speech goes to pot. Conversation is another issue, after the formal greeting I usually enter into this awkward space sporting a stupid grin. In company of my peers I sometimes feel a bit niave. I tried to learn the Bb tuba, I got quite good, but given the work I put in I should have been miles better. Rhythm was always the problem, and if I got put on the spot I would be no better than a beginner.

So it would answer a lot of questions and make me feel better about myself. I want to go back to higher education (masters), and knowing what I now know I hope I should be able to fly.

Regards

John
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Welcome to the forum welshtyke.

What your describing defuntly sounds like dyspraxicia, have you thought about getting a official digignosis of it as this could help further with your higher education studies - you will then be entitled to additional help and mesures taken etc.
The real Mr Potato Head
welshtyke
Getting settled in

Post by welshtyke »

I first thought dyslexia, so l booked sreening with dyslexia action to do the HDQ. Hopefully thi should reveal sufficient to move forward with.

Regards

John