Tying laces

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Danni
Getting settled in

Tying laces

Post by Danni »

Does anyone else struggle with getting laces tried? It's not so much of a problem for me as it was when I was younger, but I find it really difficult to get laces tied so they stay that way. Since I've got big feet, trainers are pretty much the only shoes I can get, and there aren't any velcro ones :(

Any tips?
carrie
Getting settled in

Post by carrie »

couldnt at all tilll i was 11 and they dont stay done up for long even now
NOTHING MAKES LIFE MORE INTERESTING THAN THE WONDERS OF DYSPRAXIA

(*)CARRIE(*)
Danni
Getting settled in

Post by Danni »

I was 9 when I finally learnt- my sister learnt before me :P
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I couldn't tie my shoelaces until I went to secondary school and I had to. Even then it took a while. Up til then I'd always worn velcro shoes (ooh, very 80s) or similar
carrie
Getting settled in

Post by carrie »

yeah only learnt as i was forced to still get annoyed by laces though
NOTHING MAKES LIFE MORE INTERESTING THAN THE WONDERS OF DYSPRAXIA

(*)CARRIE(*)
rhubarb_crumble
Getting settled in

Post by rhubarb_crumble »

I was 9 when I learnt. I'm still not great at tying my shoe laces now, I can never seem to get them tight enough. I used to get teased because I'd do about 5 knots to prevent my laces from coming undone. I tend to avoid wearing them now.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

A couple of pairs of shoes I've bought recently have had laces which are blatantly too short for them, with only *just* enough lace to tie them the once, unless I really tighten them. Absolutely infuriating!

The daft thing is, there's hardly anywhere it seems that sells decent shoelaces even if you want them. It's a conspiracy I say! :-({|=
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

For years I managed to hide the laces thing - little girls had buckles on their shoes in myb day! and then it was cool to just tuck your boot laces into the sides of your boots! I was oabout 20 when I finally got the hang of it but I'm still slow and some days I still can't quite manage it!! but it's ok cos now I know WHY \:D/

Clarks do some cute little trainery shoes that VELCRO !! I am currently wearing them and very nice they are too.
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

I had trouble when I was little and my shoes would always come untied. But then I got Bow Biters in preschool. They were these little Muppet Baby characters that were plastic and you clipped them to your laces to keep them tied. One day, my dad broke one of them trying to get it off, so I had to wear one of my sister's ones on that shoe. They didn't match and I had one Fozzie and one Miss Piggy foot. It was pretty funny looking back. After awhile both of them broke and I soon learned to tie my shoes really tightly so they wouldn't come undone. Well, that's my shoe tying story. The only thing I can say about shoe tying is to double knot. Then you won't have to tie them every ten seconds. If you have touble tying the only thing I can say is that practice helps a lot. Sorry for not much advice. :-({|=

Also, do you have the Sketchers velcro shoes over there? There's this new craze here where ppl are wearing Sketchers velcro shoes or other velcro shoes. i know that you said that you don't have velcro shoes over there, but maybe they just came over there?? I don't know... That's my best advice.
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

You can buy ready tied laces they are tied once and they stay tied on your shoes, thye are curly and are used to be very useful for me.
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

david456 wrote:You can buy ready tied laces they are tied once and they stay tied on your shoes, thye are curly and are used to be very useful for me.
Oh yeah, I forgot about those. We have them here too. I never used them, but they are a good idea. =D>
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

Where can you buy those from? They sound good.
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

I think they are usually sold at regular shoe stores. I don't know if you have Famous Footwear stores over there, but I think you could probably find them there since laces are sold there. =D>
Snjstar
Regular Poster

Post by Snjstar »

I learnt late
Danni
Getting settled in

Post by Danni »

There has been a breakthrough- one of the shoe shops now sells my size shoes! Bought a pair of slip-on heels, with elastic sides to make getting my feet in easier. No laces! The heels aren't that high, but enough to make them dressy. I'm very happy :)