revising for exams

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

revising for exams

Post by ALADDIN »

Does dyspraxia cause problems when memorising information for exams ?

Can people with dyspraxia have problems memorising the information, especially at university level work ?
abby
Getting settled in

Re: revising for exams

Post by abby »

it can make it hard to remember things. in general the short term is more effected. i find preperation and repitition is the best thing.
you cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails.
littlemissbump14
Getting settled in

Post by littlemissbump14 »

I don't find it an issue to remember so much, as Abby said, it's more short term memory that is affected.
However, I find it impossible to sit and actually revise! ](*,) I usually bake instead... (or curretly, go on here, and watch QI) So, I find it important to just learn it at the time! So that way revision becomes less important? Also trying to perfect continual assesment taks (e.g. essay or lab reports) can also be a huge help. If you have a high average going into an exam it takes the pressure off a little, or at least so I find. I t means that you have some 'wiggle room' to forget things! I forgpt the name of a kay charachter from a novel earlier this week in my exam, but hey ho! I called him Don M (for Manuel, i remembered a few hours later) but I'm sure my tutor will forgive that! (officially we get marked anonymously but no-one else on my course gets to type- so she'll know it's mine! And she know I have difficulties, I refuse to refer to myself as disabled- I am perfectly able! It just might take longer or a few more attempts!)
Also, doing an 'arts' degree greatly helps, as there are less facts and figures to learn, it's more about ideas!

Apart from anything else, tell the uni from the start that you are dyspraxic, or as early as you can, and explain any difficulties. They have an obligation to help you! They have to make sure that the dyspraxia won't put you at a disadvantage to a 'normal' person.
I hope this helps! :)
x
"Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming..."- Good advice from Dory
GerardSmith
New member - welcome them!

Post by GerardSmith »

I think I may have trouble memorising information, especially at university.
I write information repeatedly until I can memorise theorems etc.
Stef

Post by Stef »

I really struggle to revise for exams! It's a disaster every time #-o only just been formally diagnosed - apparently I have pretty much no short term memory at all so that's why I find it difficult? Not sure...

Any tips for revision anyone? I get distracted REALLY easily and so just sitting and reading (doesn't go in) and writing (also difficult because it hurts) doesn't work. I'm doing a Maths masters so it's remembering proofs of theorems that I struggle with :(

Any help massively appreciated!

Also, I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I've not got the message ettiquete down yet..
Monkey_Mac

Post by Monkey_Mac »

Hey, just had the same problem with a university exam. I find that when revising the best way is to do loads of examples and practice, as dysparxics our short term memory is terrible, but our long term memory is fantastic, you need to aim to get the information into long term memory, takes a little longer to get all the information on que but is considerabley more accurate

hope it helps