I'm Dyspraxic and I dont get any kind of help at all!

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hollypop18
Getting settled in

I'm Dyspraxic and I dont get any kind of help at all!

Post by hollypop18 »

Hey everyone,

I got diagnosed with Dyspraxia when i was 8, im now 22. I used to go to physio to try and help with my co-ordination and to help my leg muscles stop hurting, this was great until they stopped it when i was about 11, which was ok, now ive reached adulthood my other dyspraxic traights are taking over infuriating me, for example my speech is now horiffic when i explain something, or get nervous, I get really loud (which i cant actually hear until a person tells me to shh) and my words come out in the wrong order, ive been to see my GP who told me to "dont waste his time", life is hard enough as it is without this interfering. Has anyone else got any other suggestions?

Thanx,

Holly
Liz944
Super poster

Re: I'm Dyspraxic and I dont get any kind of help at all!

Post by Liz944 »

Could try elecution lessions, they would give you more confidence when talking... Only thing is you would probably have to pay for private lessons.
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Hey
Firstly contact the lovely Dyspraxic foundation http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/ . Secondly kick your GP (im kidding ) . Contact your local hospital if he is being really un helpful their may have an OT who can help l.

What to try in the mean time , first relax , sounds easy to say but there's a few meditation technigues you might want to try just simple breathing (counting up to 4 will breathing out then counting for 4 breathing in , or up to 9 on each in and out which ever is eaiser .

But contact he foundation , im sure they will have one in your area ;)

All the best
babooshka2002
Regular Poster

Post by babooshka2002 »

Holly,

Your GP is an imbecile.

I suspect that he is not the only doctor at the practice you go to. See a different one.

Is this making you unhappy, depressed, lacking in self-esteem? If it is, tell them that, because docs may not give too much of a stuff about dyspraxia or people saying their words back to front, but they DO care about adult mental health, so if this is hurting you mentally, it is a good thing to really make that clear.
Pixibeatz
Getting settled in

Post by Pixibeatz »

can i just say the doctor you saw is worse than an imbecile, he shouldn't be practicing. I found out I was dyspraxic at the end of last year and apart from being let off a few spelling mistakes and structural issues and a bit of extra time in exams I haven't received any help either, so i guess i am in the same boat as I've been suffering all these more thought/speech based problems all my life and just thought i was weird til i got diagnosed, now i have my diagnosis I've had no medical help apart from anti depressants for anxiety which isn't a cure but a cover up.

Try not to worry too much about messing up how you speak and getting words the wrong way round or accidentally substituting words, I've done it for years and years, its frustrating and embarassing but try slowing yourself down, if you mess up then just try again, my friends understood when i messed up before they even knew I was dyspraxic and before I knew, my mum and my friends call it Corinnish because my names Corinne and I have my own way of saying things, its a pain when it all gets lost in translation but the people who matter will get used to it.

try things like before you speak ask yourself whats around? is it noisy? might help prevent accidental shouting, which is also what i accidentally do a lot.

Hopefully we can both get ourselves some help.
peterkeegan
Regular Poster

Post by peterkeegan »

Could suggest a SALT referral by hopefully new GP, SALT means Speech and Language Therapy.
We the willing, led by the unknowning are attempting to the impossible for the ungrateful.

We have done so much with so little that we are now experts at doing anything with nothing.
Lulu27
New member - welcome them!

Post by Lulu27 »

It seems like we all have similar experiences. I was diagnosed at 7 and had physio and OT until I was 15 when I was discharged given a list of jobs I couldn't do and told I would probably not be able to drive. I am now 35 (and I can drive) and as an adult you get no help. I have been suffering with stress and depression due to work related stress and theough my excellent Occupational Health Nurse I am now hoping to get an independent assessment to see if there is anything that can be done to help me at work.
I have been referred to key4learning and their website looks really good and I am hopeful they will be able to make adjustments to my working environment etc and offer training to help me with specific problems. It is quite expensive so I am still waiting to see if my employers will pay but due to my work related stress they are keen to help me.

I agree that certain dyspraxic traits seem to be more of an issue as you get older. Social issues , concentration and emotional issues affect me where I think I have learnt how to cope with the physical symptoms mostly by avoiding doing things which I find difficult. It is interesting that you mentioned pains in your legs I also suffered with this as a child and even now get pains in my legs due to stress.

I am not surprised at the reaction you got from your GP when I asked for help a few years ago I was also treated badly and it makes you not want to ask again.

I hope you get some help and I will let you know how I get on with key4learning.
:D