Another famous dyspraxic

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cheetarah
Getting settled in

Another famous dyspraxic

Post by Cheetarah »

Hannah Macdonnell, an actress in Ireland who won the Rose of Tralee prize in 2008. Here she is talking about what it's like to live with dyspraxia on TV. I think this is a great interview and she did a great job of educating the public.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/20090227.html
'I always ran after the ball because, after all, Mary, the ball is important in a game, isn't it? until I found they didn't like me doing that because I never got near it or hit it or did whatever you are supposed to do to it.'
alilouise
Getting settled in

Re: Another famous dyspraxic

Post by alilouise »

I have just watched the interview and think it is a fantastic video. She was positive and successful. We need more celebrities involved to raise awareness. A pity a few more won't get involved.

Dyspraxia still isn't very widely known. We could do with more ideas to raise awareness in the UK. America seem to do better because it is a bigger country.
Cheetarah
Getting settled in

Post by Cheetarah »

Yes, I agree that the public needs to be educated about dyspraxia and it would fantastic if there was a big media campaign. The photographer David Bailey who is dyspraxic and his wife Catherine Deneuve have played a part in making the condition better known but billboards or even a TV advert would make a far bigger difference.
'I always ran after the ball because, after all, Mary, the ball is important in a game, isn't it? until I found they didn't like me doing that because I never got near it or hit it or did whatever you are supposed to do to it.'
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I teach here in Ireland and there are cut backs everywhere. All resources are being cut including my job. Back to the bad old days...for me and the kids.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Yes cuts are being made but that dosent nessarley stop of limet rasing the awareness of dyspraxicia.
Unforanlty it does mean that help can be harder to get, but that also depends on where you are and your helth and / or educational profeshnals etc.
The real Mr Potato Head
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Easily known you're not working in a school....increased class sizes, disruptive children, exhaustion, lack of supports, stress, not being able to help the children who need the help, lack of space so that it is dangerous to move around the classroom, curriculum overload, presure from parents and inspectors, etc. I know I have dyspraixa.....knowing about it doesn't make my life any easier. I dont' get any support from the Department. Knowing that the children have Downs Syndrom, Dyspraixa, Hearing difficulties, learning difficulties, etc. doesn't make it any less stressful for me when I can't help them. It makes it worse.