Greetings and Salutations

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Greg
Power poster

Greetings and Salutations

Post by Greg »

My name is Greg, as you will no doubt have derrived from my cunningly selected username. I dunno, 21 years on this earth and when people ask me what they should call me I still lack all creativity and copy my parents. Guess it's true what they say about history being cyclic rather than linear.

What's a Greg? I'm not really sure, that's part of why I'm here. I have had a few problems of late with the ways in which I've been dealing with people (mostly because the majority of the population has a chronic inability to say what it means plainly, curse them and their crazy being a majority without my permission) I was diagnosed dyspraxic at 11 years old but never really tried to find out what it meant.

Well other than being an explaination for why my ability to write is only slightly superior to my cats and a justification to use a computer in my exams instead. The latter I was extremely greatfull for because it meant that I could actually pass some of the cursed things. I still get tripped up on the wording a lot, but since getting to uni I've noticed you can generally do okay by throwing everything you know related to the topic in the vauge direction of the question and do okay.

Anyways, so recently I figured I'd find out a little more about it and (amoung other things) came across this forum. The people here seemed nice so I figured I'd come and say hi to you all and see where things end up going from there.

I've already confessed to being 21 and at uni, I'd probably best get a little more specific (to give you something more interesting to respond to than my name and that I'm dyspraxic, because I bet a lot of introductions contain those things and you must be running out of things to say or getting bored of repeating yourselves)

I study psychology and artificial intelligence and all things going well over the next couple of weeks of exams will get to write Bsc after my name. I've also commandeered funding for a masters and PhD which will allow me to write a veritable essay after my name. That's a long way off though and requires me to actually be good at what I do.

In terms of hobby stuff I spend far too long playing games (board games, roleplaying games, gamey games, it's all good) and like a bit of badminton from time to time (It's the only sport I can play because my parents started teaching me at age 6 and raw practice has overcome my usual tendancy to flail ineffectually during sports) I'm also a member of the fetish, hide&seek and improvisation societies at uni, though I am terrible at the latter I do enjoy making the attempt and nobody else seems to mind how bad I am at it.

My favoriate three things in the world are chocolate, fire and cats (in that order) however starting fires is something I don't get a chance to do very often since not everyone can have a clay based fire pit in their back garden (if you have any spare envy feel free to direct it at pershore road) Also note that combining these interests is not something that I predict would end well, though my cat quite happily sits with it's tail in the fire if nobody rescues it. I thought felines were meant to have a survivial instinct :S

Anyway, there's me. As expressed in a seemingly randomly ordered stream of conciousness (It's not that I couldn't go back and order it, it's just that I think I'm more me if I don't. Either that or I'm just in a bit of a wierd mood) I'm not really sure how to end this. I guess uni makes me think that everything ought to have a properly thought out conclusion. I refuse to drop dead just to satisfy my need for the end of a body of text having some closure. I guess I could kinda just drift off, like, y'know, that guy who did the thing.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I like the introduction, greg, welcome to the forum!
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find it useful. Any questions you want to ask, feel free and we will do our best to answer them.
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

Hi greg welcome to our lovely forum.

Very interesting choice of dgree subjects .. here you are neuro divergent and studying other sorts of intellegence and what makes people tick!

Me I'm sticking to plants, currently studying for a Landscape management dgeree at the Uni. of Reading. I should be revising for my 2nd yr exams which is why i'm posting here! I'm 33 (as of yesterday) and found out about my dyspraxiaabout a year ago.

So finals hey? bet that's a doosie for the pressure, how's it going and when are they?

Look forward to hearing more from you

Ruth
nick
Power poster

Post by nick »

Hi Greg, welcom to the forum. I nearly started the same course that you have nearly finished but felt a little bit too intimidated by the artificial intelligence thing. So i dicided to opt for straight psychology instead. congratulations on getting the funding to extend your studies. from what i hear, funding for post graduate coureses is very competitive, well done.
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Good to meet you all :)

[david] I'll lay off the questions for now, I'd rather work out a few more things for myself before I start bothering people with things I could have looked up. I'm quite curious about peoples personal experiences though, so I'll probably end up weighing in on some of the other threads at a time that's less 2:30am than this one. I tend to be more capable of coherant thought while not exhauseted (that being said it's been claimed I could market my incoherant thoughts as entertainment so it might not be a bad plan :P)

[Ruth] Plants are nice things. They're complex enough in their own right but generally don't go about the place havine epithamys and drastically changing for no apparent reason like people. When I rule the world people are going to have to carry signs with their status on to make things easier.

I feel a bit wierd about the final exams. I took so many coursework moduals that they only account for 15/120 credits for my course. Probably for the best since I tend to do badly in exams. I've got a memory comparable to a goldfish. That doesn't sound so bad until you factor in that my cat was licking it's lips and looking pleased with itself the last time I saw it. They are really important because they decide whether I can do what I want with the next four years of my life, but it's hard to get fired up about a comparitively small portion of my course.

[Nick] Heh, I hope that's working out for you. I'm finding the psychology is much harder than the artifical intelligence. I'll quite happily debate the philosophical aspects and slap together neural networks and even build a fully autonomous robot if I have to - but if I have to read one more discussion of power and meaning I'm going to snap. My hypothesis is that undergraduate psychology courses are designed to create a readily available population of neurotic students for those who created the courses to study. I guess I'll find out over the next four years.

G'night all. Will stalk around the rest of the boards causing trouble tommorow.
nick
Power poster

Post by nick »

wow i'm jealous my course tends to be exam heavy, with course work only accounting for 25% and the rest down to three essay question in 2 hours ( i get 2 1/2 hours). i think i've chosen the wrong course!!
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

Hiya, Welcome to the forums!
jme
Regular Poster

Post by jme »

hey greg, - very witty intro! ;) :lol:

nice to welcome another psychology student! ive very recently finished \:D/ I did a little bit of computer science too (but not AI as such, and not as a major). it really complements cognitive psychology.

good luck with masters/phd - sounds fantastic. (not too sure about the whole "ruling the world" thing though! 8-[ ).

nick- 75% weighting on exams is huge!... for 1st-3rd year it was usually around 50-50 (course work/exams) and 4th yr was the thesis.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

"Normal refers to someone who hasn’t had enough tests!"
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Thank you :)
I figured there had to be more psychology students around here somewhere. It's said that there are only two reasons for anyone to study the subject
1) Because they seek to control others
2) Because they seek to understand why they're such a mess
The latter covers all present right? ;)

I wish I'd done more cognitive psychology, the problem with joint honours is you only do half the course so you have to choose some things to not know. I've a particular interest in social psychology so my module selections have been in that direction.

The joint honours thing also has a big impact on my coursework/exam mark. Since I can cherry pick modules from two courses I could set it up to be 75% exams as well if I'd wanted to (and wanted to do the exam based modules) getting to choose the coursework/exam balance is a real lifesaver for me, what with my memory an' all.
fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

Wow Greg, that was an epic introduction! I am the Fuzz *salutes*
Goodbye, and have a pleasant tommorrow!!
I swear to drunk im not God.....
nick
Power poster

Post by nick »

yes Greg the latter applies to me.
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Well introspective is much better than manipulative in my book.

What's this? A salute from a moderator? Is that like a superior officer?
*stands still back straight and returns the salute*
SAH!