Travels of a Dyspraxic: The Next Generation

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

mnwjm1981
Getting settled in

Travels of a Dyspraxic: The Next Generation

Post by mnwjm1981 »

http://vikingbay.blogspot.com/2011/06/t ... ation.html

A blog ... from me to you ... Well, I like telling you all about my experiences :-)
Catwoman42
Power poster

Re: Travels of a Dyspraxic: The Next Generation

Post by Catwoman42 »

With you completely on travelling to new places...I had to meet a friend in a restaurant on Friday. Spent about an hour beforehand reading Googlemaps. I then texted my friend as I still wasn't entirely sure where I was going...She called and said she would meet me...but I managed to get there by myself! Such a sense of accomplishment and the start of a fab evening. Like you, I don't let the fear of getting lost stop me...but there have been many many times I've almost chickened out and felt it would be best just to stay home....
thelaticsfan
Getting settled in

Post by thelaticsfan »

I hear that,
When I was unemployed and looking for work I would often chicken out of interviews because they were at places I never knew before, I just had an overwhelming feeling I would get lost and wouldnt be able to get home.

It is a new experience, and once you get the courage to do it, the next time you go somewhere new you feel a lot more at ease with the idea.

What helps me when travelling is make several different plans on what to do if I get lost, I make about 3 plans on how to get home just incase something goes wrong, I research the area looking for key landmarks to help me find my way and know im on the right track.
Owen
Getting settled in

Post by Owen »

I have always had a good sense of direction....or so i thought! I have got lost a few times on bike rides that i enjoy doing. Road signs can be misleading, especially if you are expecting a sign to say one thing and it says another! I find the best thing to do is study google maps or even better is google earth this gives me more of a chance to memorise road signs so i will know which ones to take to lead to the correct destination! I did 48 miles in a day on my bike thanks to getting lost on the Yorkshire Wolds i was only going to do 42 intially!! When i say bike i should say i mean bycycle and not a Motorbike! When my dad and i went to Bradford for a day out at the Museum out of the centre i nearly directed him in the wrong direction when we had to get the bus back! He said it was probably because of my dyspraxia that i got it wrong, which hurt at first, but then again at least he was being honest.
mnwjm1981
Getting settled in

Post by mnwjm1981 »

It's really good to meet like-minded people - up until I started exploring the subject more, I really thought I was the only one going through this! Glad to see I'm not!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I usually plan my travel to nth degree. Getting the maps out and poring? over them with my magnifier analysing. Having spare copies of travel docs etc When I go away I can guarantee itinerary won't always go to plan and while I was a bit nervous about time it took to me to negotiate Dallas airport my plane to Seattle turned out to be delayed anyway.

Pleased I didn't get as hopelessly lost in Seattle and this time it wasn't raining. Guess I'm partly a creature of habit going there as knew drill for getting from airport to hotel and hotel into city. Worst was back in UK when arrived back at Heathrow only to find cheap hotel impossible to get to for less than about £40 in a taxi despite it being a mile or two away as crow flies. Fortunately heard local coach being called and driver let me on and saved me night at airport bus station.

I'm a bit weird though as quite happy to go out in the locally in forest for a wander and try different paths. So far have always managed to find my way home and more clued up about local area if I walk through/past places enough times to remember them.

Too much place name dropping in this one but wanted to try and encourage people that they too can do things if they set their mind to it. some mishaps can add to the experience and give you cause to think well that was a bit strange but I made it and I don't necessarily need to worry as much next time.

Tom
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Ldnfinest
New member - welcome them!

Post by Ldnfinest »

mnwjm1981 wrote:It's really good to meet like-minded people - up until I started exploring the subject more, I really thought I was the only one going through this! Glad to see I'm not!
I have a good sense of direction i used to be surpirsed seeing that i come frm london
I' M SLIPPING I'M FALLING ITS HARD 2 GET UP BUT I GOTTA 2 GET UP