Hi Im new!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

thelaticsfan
Getting settled in

Hi Im new!

Post by thelaticsfan »

Hi Everyone,
My name is Sean Elliott I am 23 years old and an IT support analyst from Oldham.
It is only recently that I found out I have Dyspraxia.
Growing up I always felt there was something different about me,
I was always clumsy and notorious for spilling things, I would find it hard to play football without my legs going everywhere and my arms clinching (even to this day my friends call me crazy legs!)

I found out I had Dyspraxia by looking into the subject, my fiancee (I do't know if that's right spelling, I mean the girl one) suggested that I may be suffering from some form of dyslexia, when I googled it I stumbled onto the Dyspraxia page and when reading the symptoms, I felt like they were basically telling my life story!

I will post in this forum the things I do, hopefully some of you will read what I do and understand that your not the only one.

The main things I notice about my dyspraxia:

OCD:
I have to do a lot of things in 4's or 16's, because once when I was young I thought that doing things once was bad because it was a lonely number, so was 2, 3 was an odd number so I had to do things 4 times, and 16 is 4x4 so thats where it came from.

Clumsy:
If it can be dropped, spilled or broke I get nervous because I know I will probably stumble at sometime and knock it over.

Reading:
Whenever I read I find myself reading the page over and over for it to sink in, Ill read a sentence and read the exact same sentence over and over, because while I understand the words they just dont sink in.

Hearing:
Sometimes I hear people and go into an "automatic answer" mode, I will hear them and give them a reply without really concentrating on what was said until that person inevitably comes back and wonders why I havent done as they ask.

Emotions:
I can over react to things, I can get angry over nothing or upset over tiny things, I cant understand different tones of voice and sometimes accidently give the impression im shouting or angry when im not.

also key points are that I cant sit down and talk on the phone I have to pace up and down and at work I cant sit still for too long, I have to make an excuse to get up every now and then so I can keep my focus.

Im so glad im not the only one out there, and you know what, its not all that bad.

I feel like I have gained a higher intelligence from having Dyspraxia as I can sort of reflect on things easier and analyse the situation better, I could never just let anything go, I had to work on it until I got it right, and understand why I was wrong.

I wouldnt change my life, its tough but its me!