Re: Musical Ability

Post by fluxwolfdfw »

Trombone, Guitar, and turntables, bedroom DJ. :|
please don't touch me....
Philip Fairweather
New member - welcome them!

Post by Philip Fairweather »

I'm a singer and have been able to read music from an early age...I also know the basic principles by which most instruments are played, but lack the technical skill and coordination to do much with them...However I'd say that wind instruments are probably the easiest for our condition, as you are generally only following one line of music...If I have to accompany myself on the piano, which occasionally happens, I prefer to work from guitar chords and make up my own simple accompaniment, where hopefully the quality of my singing masks the extremely basic sounds going on behind...A miked-up kazoo is handy for instrumental breaks because you have a trumpety/saxophony sound that can be produced simply by singing falsetto into it and your hands are still free to continue making up a basic accompaniment...
Openly dyspraxic actor, singer and radio presenter...You can hear me live every morning on www.radiowroclove.com at 9.45am CET (8.45am in Britain & Ireland) on weekdays and my Sunday Selection Show is on Sunday mornings at 11am (10am GB & Eire)
Ldyalb
Regular Poster

Post by Ldyalb »

I have zero musical ability, two years of violin lessons produced only a poor performance of '3 blind mice' and nothing else so I felt it was time to give up, my boyfriend almost wet himself with laughter when he discovered I played an instrument for two years and didn't get entered in for any grades. I'm tone deaf, I can't clap in time to music or anything and I can't read music - it's too blurry for me to interpret.
Dyspraxia - Dx Jan 2010, borderline ASD as well plus strong Dyscalculia overlap.

Fibromyalgia - Dx Jan 2011.
Hypermobility - Dx April 2011
Willis-Ekbom Disease - Dx November 2011

I also have Eczema, Rosacea and Trichitollomania. Oh joy :)
Cheetarah
Getting settled in

Post by Cheetarah »

I don't play any instrument properly, though I could relearn to play recorder with a bit of practise.

Listen to this, it's awesome! Underneath it says he's got dyspraxia too :D
http://www.jelibean.com/ladder2/index.p ... tjelibeans
'I always ran after the ball because, after all, Mary, the ball is important in a game, isn't it? until I found they didn't like me doing that because I never got near it or hit it or did whatever you are supposed to do to it.'
Robletthenob
Getting settled in

Post by Robletthenob »

i can play the guitar and didnt have lessons just taught myself and i am learning how to play drums now coz my friend offered to teach me how to play
:D :P
Couldn't live without dyspraxia, taking it away from me would be to take a chunk of my personality too
Robletthenob
Getting settled in

Post by Robletthenob »

oh yeah i no this dont really count but i can play the drums and guitar on Guitar Hero on expert very well, any Guitar Hero player will be able to tell u how difficult it is to play Through The Fire and Flames is on the expert difficulty :lol:
If ya wanna have a look just check it out on youtube
Couldn't live without dyspraxia, taking it away from me would be to take a chunk of my personality too
differentfromtherest
Getting settled in

Post by differentfromtherest »

i played piano for 5 years and flute for 3 but never got hang of it, so gave up but got grade 1 theory 100/100. and now play the guitar, badly i might add, only been playing bout a month without lessons i just kinda teach myself from a book. Woah well anyone that can do expert on guitar hero well dne. i only played twice but am not very gd at all lol .
Living with dcd can makes you feel like a penguin in the middle of the saudi arabian desert, completely out of place
Magic_Lemur
Regular Poster

Post by Magic_Lemur »

I have a weird one. I love music, but don't have the patience for instruments.

However, I am forever coming up with songs at work about Colleagues.
(For instance, one of my colleagues is called 'Aman' (as in 'Amandeep') & I came up with that song of the muppets - AmanAman, doo doo, doo doo doo!)

I also can almost freestyle different lyrics to songs, though my singing voice is awful.

Don't know what to do with this ability as I don't play any instruments. Any suggestions?
"But only 1 in 10 survives all danger.
When walking thru the jungle,..
He never fears tigers
as there's no place to sink his claws,...

This is the fulfilled person of the Tao
who has no mortal spot."

Tao Te Ching Verse 50
fiona.d

Post by fiona.d »

I had piano lessons as a teenager and found it very hard to play both hands together.My left hand was naturally too loud/heavy and I found reading reading those notes more difficult too. As music theory was complete double dutch to me I gave it up after passing my grade 3 exam!
Sean

Post by Sean »

I can play Guitar Hero on normal.
My junior school used to make us play recorders - I guess one of the simplest instruments? - and I was utterly wretched. When it stopped being compulsory I remember vividly hurling it over our garden wall as an act of triumphant defiance. I hated music, and actually didn't start actively listening to it till I was about 13 or 14. I've still never been to a gig or any live music; hot, sweaty, too active, too confusing, too much.
I know absolutely nothing about it, and I have no talent with it. Hate it!
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I love music. I did the piano for years which was a total disaters because I can't read music. Asked two different teachers to record the muisic for me so that I could hear the tune ......they went' ballistic. I kept trying to give it up but my mother wouldn't hear of it. Eventualy she got the message. I did traditional music as well. I haven't played in years but I used to be very good on the Tin Whistle. i did the flute for a few years but I just didn't have the lungs for it so gave up when I went to college. I then took up the contertina for a while. Even though I had to use both hands at the same time to play chords I didn't have the same kind of trouble with the contertina that I had with the piano. Would love to go back an get lessons on the concertina again just to get me back into the swing of it.
musicman

Post by musicman »

I play the Violin, Piano and Organ,

some Dyspraxia discussion group told me that i would never be able to play a musical instrument.....

I sort of proved them wrong....

My Job, is as an Organist... i've got all my Grades in them all and i Don't find it difficult...

I love music and it's my life....