hyperflexible limbs

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

albanaich
New member - welcome them!

Re: hyperflexible limbs

Post by albanaich »

Just discovered I'm dyspraxic at the grand old age of 57. . . . . . how much easier my life would have been if I had known when I was younger.

I'm hyperflexible and have near perfect musical recall. I've spent the last 5 years going mad trying to learn ballroom dance and couldn't figure out why it was so difficult.

Now I know.

As I lead I'm a completely free improviser, I just match figures to the music, without any planning at all. I'm very supple for age and move very well, and when I'm following the music very fluid. People are like 'how do you do that'

Then I go to class and try to learn a routine and its absolute torture. I'm completely unco-ordinated. It baffled me, my dance teachers and partners.

All is explained!!!
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I hear you. I'm a very good set dancer. Tried to do Swing....total disaster. Couldn't get my body to work with the other dancer.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Also excellent rhythm and musical memory. Would remember the running order on a CD that I hadn't listened to in 10 years.
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

I am very flexible, but my joints are also very weak and I have poor muscle tone. Not fun. Always painful.