High Verbal IQ's .....

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wobble
Getting settled in

High Verbal IQ's .....

Post by Wobble »

I read this is common with dyspraxics,but dyspraxia is a language disorder.I wouldnt say i have a high verbal IQ because i normally pause a lot talking to people to plan what i want to say instead of it flowing naturally.I'm really quite if im put on the spot to talk its like sensory overload.Is this common for dyspraxics
Millie
Getting settled in

Re: High Verbal IQ's .....

Post by Millie »

Not neccessarily high verbal. But you may have read that famous people with dyspraxia, are writers, actors, theorists etc. As I understand it, the brain kinda balances itself out. While dyspraxics lack in coordination, visual perception , manipulation etc..they are often highly creative and big thinkers. Verbal may be difficult as it does entail planning and voicing thoughts in a sequence that makes sense to others, and some struggle. However, remembering lines, having time to think and create and use those imaginative skills may result in high achievement, overall. Some people believed to be dyspraxic are Daniel Radcliffe, the actor, and Emily Bronte.
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Actually in studies Dyspraxics are found to be of higher then average intelligence . The Verbal IQ and IQ are just methods to judge this and verbal IQ is regarded as being a more realistic and accurate method to judge intellect (sorry MENSA people ;))

I would agree its the requiring we have , and i suspect it can be made better for some of s with building our confidences. It's easier to express ourself s as we noting thinking of what we need to write , write it , plan it pick up the pen etc ;)
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I would say I'm worse verbally because I tend to get confused so when I do interviews and the like I loose my train of thought and I often use the wrong words which makes me sound like an idiot and then I get more flutstered.
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Thats normally the interview techniques , their designed to but pressure on people in a false environment . Most if its fairly pointless and not a try test of a person .
Avarice
Regular Poster

Post by Avarice »

Problem is that for jobs they can also be testing the notional performance IQ so you can be all over the place in things like diagramatic, verbal reasoning and numeracy tests .So unless there is more of a correlation between verbal and performance IQ its really just a psychologist or God taking the p**s.
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Just shows the limitation of the interview techniques more .
Wobble
Getting settled in

Post by Wobble »

Does anyone struggle verbally and get stuck for words to say ..... when i have conversations i'm really random asks lots of questions but cant stick to one topic for long or i lose attention.I'd really like to improve this issue,but i'm scared im too far gone.

Also is it common to score really low percentile on spatial awareness but nice average on visual spatial awareness .... whats the main differences between the two?
Thank you so much for replies,its nice to read how people can relate to my problems!
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Basically the first is how you perceive distances gaps etc , teh other is how you can visualise and formulate images or concepts in your own mind . Nikolai Tesla had this perfectly (and he basically invented the 21st C technology as we know it ;))
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

[quote="Wobble"]Does anyone struggle verbally and get stuck for words to say ..... when i have conversations i'm really random asks lots of questions but cant stick to one topic for long or i lose attention.I'd really like to improve this issue,but i'm scared im too far gone.

I do this all the time. I'm workingon a computer programme to help with this. Not sure if it is helping yet but only about halfway through so far so will keep you posted.
Wobble
Getting settled in

Post by Wobble »

The whole area of sptial awareness and visual spatial awareness i find really confusing ...
Because some of the gifts you have with visual spatial but some i definately don't! I'm thinking my bad spatial awareness effects this in some ways.

Does anyone know how to improve communication,as im very insure of myself!
Loki
Getting settled in

Post by Loki »

I tend to have the same issue if a conversation topic goes on for too long it tends to just fall out of my head and I tend to forget what I was going to say, luckily I have a friend who has kind of the same thing so when we have a conversation we tend to actually have 12 topics at once and will jump between them without really pausing. It confuses the hell out of people who are listening but that way I can keep a conversation going on for a good while and it actually really helps with when I'm in a conversation with someone else cause it's given me an idea of how to predict the flow of a conversation.

I do still get in conversation were I'll go blank, get confused and as a sort of reflex, laugh along or just agree - something I'm really trying to break myself out of. Plus if someone asks me to repeat myself - which sometimes is tricky as I can forget bits, I get really stressed and angry fast - also trying to break myself of this. My friends know this as well and a few take the mick and do the "Sorry, what?" as if they were ignoring... I usually have to sit myself out of a conversation for a bit after that cause it just crushes my confidence and makes me feel stressed like I want to pull my hair out..
Beware my friends, as you pass by
As you are now so once was I
As I'm now so you must be
Prepare my friends to follow me
/Mary Jane - Megadeth/
Logan
New member - welcome them!

Post by Logan »

I've always scored highly on verbal tests (hopeless with advanced math, though).

Last time my IQ was measured, it came out 140 (not that that's done me a whit of good in Real Life ;-).

But here's a funny story... When I was around 12, I took a battery of tests. The tester was baffled, as I'd seemingly taken longer to read a passage silently than I had the same passage out loud.

It wasn't true - I'd read the passage to myself three or four times. I simply had been too shy to "disturb" the
tester by telling her I was finished reading silently (she was reading something).

And, of course, I was so afraid to make waves that I didn't tell her she had reached the wrong conclusion!
Avarice
Regular Poster

Post by Avarice »

Logan wrote:Last time my IQ was measured, it came out 140 (not that that's done me a whit of good in Real Life ;-).
Exactly. Mine was once supposedly put at least on the verbal scale at 133 when I was nearly 16.

Arnold Schwarzenegger's IQ is said to be about 135 and he's conservatively thought to be worth up to $500 million.

As I have said before in other threads here If I could,whether neurodiverse or not, see more of an automaticity between what educational/occupational/neuro psychologists say about underlying ability and actual career and material advancement I would tend not to be so dismissive of them.