Eating

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Catwoman42
Power poster

Eating

Post by Catwoman42 »

I haver noticed that if I have, say, three items of food on my plate, I prefer to eat each type of food separately. I won't load my fork with each part and eat all together. I'm not wild about my food items touching each other either.

Is this a me thing? Or does anyone else have this?
Grackle
Regular Poster

Re: Eating

Post by Grackle »

I thought that it was just me! I don't like things to touch either. When I was a kid I would separate stew into the different parts and eat all the potatoes then all the carrots and so on. I wouldn't eat soup. When I eat in public, I try to eat a bit of everything because it seems more polite (plus people seem inclined to say things like "wow you really like those carrots don't you" or "is something wrong with the potatoes, you don't seem to be eating them"). I also like to cut up everything at once (preferably in the kitchen) to cut down on public food flinging :blush:

Do you separate hot food and cold food and eat all the cold then all the hot?
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

When I was a kid I was like this but I hate bland food so would have to have something to make the likes for rice or potatoes palletable. So my food choices would be a lot more diverse but hate the textures of some food like the idea of eating soft fruit like melons or kiwis :-& I don't eat meat either. I like fish though. No sinues or fat!
Catwoman42
Power poster

Post by Catwoman42 »

MM can't eat hot and cold together or sweet and sour. So glad it's not just me~!
Lady Fluff
Power poster

Post by Lady Fluff »

Oh goodness yes! I don't have a problem with different foods touching (unless they are hot and cold - why someone would want ice-cream on a nice warm fruit pie I just can't understand!). But I will often eat one item first in its entirety before moving onto a different part of the meal (i.e. if I have spaghetti bolognase, I have to eat all the spaghetti before I eat the meat with it, and with some meals I will eat the veg, then the potatoes, then the meat. Oh, and at my in-laws over Christmas I observed a strange phenomenon of people eating crisps after they'd had cake - that's wrong too - sweet stuff happens last and nothing savoury shall follow!
"I will not be bound by what they tell me I can be; I will not stay silent, I will speak my liberty" (Kendall Payne)
abby
Getting settled in

Post by abby »

i used to eat things seperatly, but when i was younger, my mum had a thing about me doing that, so yelled at me whenever i did. now i stil eat it together out of habit, but i hate doing it. im gonna be out of that habbit soon i think, now im not living with her.

i hate cutting food up in front of people, partly as i fling food around sometimes, partly as mum (yes, her again) would have a go at me if my cutlery made a noise against the plate or each other. i mainly ate finger food where i could, or just used the fork and stuffed it in all at once, wwithout cutting (not polite or good for me i know).
you cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Oh yeah. I hate that noise with the cutlery that's why I eat so many soft things that don'/t have to be cut.
lulufairy
Getting settled in

Post by lulufairy »

Cant stand dry food being covered in sauces Have to eat spag bol sauce first then the pasta and if its too wet i wont eat it. eat individually each different type of food. Does anyone else have problems with fat or oil like cant eat fatty meat :-&
salems24
Getting settled in

Post by salems24 »

for me it depends...

if it is something that is already mixed together like a soup or pie etc i wont mind but if its already separate such as if i had waffles, peas and mash (not mixed together) then i will not mix it like my dad does... he takes a bit from everything on his fork at the same time
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

I still eat food seperatly not becuase i don;t like mixing them its just easier for me to eat them ;)